Topics

Intra-articular injections

Genevieve

Hello,

Are there safe intra-articular injections for IR horses? Rose is quite unequal from behind and I suspect she is due for her hock injections. She has articular degeneration in her hocks, with blood and very limited cartilage. A new lameness vet is coming next week and I want to get prepared for the possible treatments. The previous vet used a combo of cortisone and HA I believe.

Thank you in advance,
--

Genevieve  March 2012

South of Quebec province

Rose (IR)  Case HistoryPhoto Album

Victor (PPID)  Case HistoryPhoto Album

It is my understanding that as long as the arthritic changes are only in the two lower joints of the hocks the horse's lower hock joints can be purposely encouraged to speed up the fusing process. Have you discussed this with a vet? I learned about this process AFTER I placed a very nice horse into a pleasure riding home. I wish I had known about it sooner. The two processes that I read about are Surgical Anthrodesis and Chemical Anthrodesis. Not all horses are candidates for these treatments but they can work for many horses although the fusing can take around a year. I read the the horse needs pain management during the process. Horses can naturally fuse (which is slow) and riding can help the process along. Not a fun thing to intentionally do to a horse I imagine but once fused the pain is over.

I realize that this isn't an answer to your question but it might be something that you could discuss with the vet.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Group Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

Genevieve

Hi Bonnie,

My former vet was not a protagonist of fusion, he said that horses are limited in mouvement once fused. But I do prefer a pain free horse more limited in mouvement. Rose used to react well to the IA injections and the effect used to last a year. But I never injected her since she had a laminitis and found to be IR. I'll certainly discuss all possible options with that newer vet. Thank you Bonnie!
--

Genevieve  March 2012

South of Quebec province

Rose (IR)  Case HistoryPhoto Album

Victor (PPID)  Case HistoryPhoto Album

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

HA without the corticosteroid is the way to go, possibly augmented by intravenous HA. If you go for fusion of the lower joint I would try ethanol - safe and painfree.

Anthie Booras

My go to for my IR mare has been Pro-Stride. Last time I did her hocks we split a kit between her two hocks so that helped with cost. I’ve done her stifles twice and her coffin joints 1-3 times (one coffin is worse). This last time I did her coffin I tried Noltrex and was happy with the result.
--
- Anthie

Northern California
August 2015

Genevieve

Thanks Anthie for the suggestions. What is the diagnosis of your mare regarding the articulations that were injected?
--

Genevieve  March 2012

South of Quebec province

Rose (IR)  Case HistoryPhoto Album

Victor (PPID)  Case HistoryPhoto Album

Anthie Booras

She had stifle surgery at 4 (now 14). One had a meniscal tear and the other had bad cartilage. Her RF coffin joint has almost no cartilage left either. Her hocks have had very thin joint space since she was young. I’m surprised they haven’t fused by now.
--
- Anthie

Northern California
August 2015