Introduction: Cinnamon :)

Mary

Hi all, new here, our mostly retired large pony (22 ish) was just diagnosed with Cushing’s. She was tested in Spring and was IR (so put on Thyro-L) but negative for Cushing’s at that time. She was a bit heavy in Spring and had some fat pads; I’ve since changed up her diet and she looks good. She has a heavy coat (always has), seems a little depressed this fall (new), and see below for lameness. Have dealt with EPM and chronic Lyme in the past 8 months.

she currently gets:
PM
3-4 TC Timothy Balancer cubes, soaked (literally a small handful)
handful TC Balancer Gold
hanful Purina Outlast
3T VT Blend Pro
Cosequin ASU
thyro L
MVP Eclipse
equioxx
1/2 c Omega E (Custom Equine Nutrition)
3 squirts Emcelle

AM
handful TC Balancer Gold
handful purina outlast
Sprinkle flax

She has mostly Timothy first cut NY hay in a Porta grazer or small hole net available 90% of the time. Can’t soak because of freezing temps.

she used to get field time all day but horse dynamics have forced us to do only 1.5-3 hours per day, on very poor straggly pasture (the whole property is air plants so no one wants rich grass). She has not been in the field since the below lameness started.

about a month ago she turned up with one very sore front hoof. Developed a little heat, then the next day the other was a little warm. Spent a few days icing both, bute AM and PM. Wrapped and closed in very deep stall overnight (usually she has her walk out paddock - dry lot - access). I have kept her off the field since then. The situation cleared up within 2 days but I continued treatment for 5.

vet came and tested on the 11th. I didn’t know she was going to test for Cushing’s (it was a chronic Lyme recheck and a look at that laminitis (?) lameness episode, so she was not fasting. Results are as follows:

TRH Stimulation Test for PPID

 Endogenous ACTH 41 pg/mL

  Endogenous ACTH post (10 min)

483 pg/mL

 Mid-November to Mid-July (Non-Fall Months): 10 min after TRH ACTH value:

<110 pg/ml is considered negative for PPID 110-200 pg/ml is considered equivocal for PPID >200 pg/ml is considered supportive of PPID

Mid-July to Mid-November (Fall Months):

There are no published values to interpret TRH stimulation in the fall. However:

values <110 pg/ml would exclude a diagnosis of PPID

values > 500 pg/ml are generally considered diagnostic for disease.

 Insulin (Equine)

 Insulin 61 0-42 uU/mL HIGH

Result Verified

Insulin dysregulation (ID) is characterized by elevated resting

insulin and/or an abnormal response to consumed oral sugars. Elevated basal insulin can also occur in horses with Pituitary Pars Intermedia Dysfunction (PPID).

Suggested Reference Ranges (Equine Endocrinology Group 2020):

Testing after hay and no grain within 4 hours(resting insulin):

< 20 uU/mL - non-diagnostic. Consider dynamic testing if insulin dysregulation (ID) is suspected

20-50 uU/mL- suspect for ID if consistent with clinical signs > 50 -uU/mL- Insulin dysregulation

Testing while on pasture (to assess current diet and management): 20-50 uU/mL- dynamic testing (Oral Sugar Test) recommended (see test codes L545

or L550)

> 50 uU/mL - Insulin Dysregulation

Evidence is mounting that insulin concentrations are affected by season with higher concentrations detected in December, January, and February in the Northern hemisphere, suggesting a winter-associated exacerbation of ID.

 Glucose

  Glucose 57 70-120 mg/d

im not sure how to attach an image or PDF to this message, sorry!

Cinnamon was head bobbing lame on her right front at the walk again Sunday, same deal but definitely a warm front foot and the other slightly warm as well. Iced 2 days, heat gone, now still on bute and seeming comfortable. She has never stood “rocked back” but that foot was sore for sure.

I have received a box of Prascend but I haven’t started her on it yet. I’d love to hear folks’ thoughts. Cinnamon is my daughter’s first pony (she’s a large, 14.1 3/4) and her very best friend. She has been an outstanding member of our family for the past 8 years and I want to be sure we do right by her 100%.

thanks so much for listening to this long story!!!
Mary
--
Mary Glickman
Connecticut

Candice Piraino

HI Mary!

Welcome to the group!

Ok this is going to be a lot but you are in the right place! Please complete a case history as soon as you are able. Below you will find directions on how to upload it and photos, as well as lab results.

I would go ahead and do another overhaul on her diet. Remove her from all grass. Soak the hay- you can search this group for tips and tricks for those who come into freezing temperatures. The hay could be very dangerous for her since you do not have a hay analysis on it.

Before starting the pergolide I would go ahead and start her on APF (adaptogens) a few days before and then start slowly with pergolide with 1/4 tab of Prascend. Once on a full tab for 3 weeks, you should retest her to ensure she has the proper dosage of pergolide.

I love that you have already implemented some good stuff for her diet: Emcelle, Vermont Blend, TC Naturals Balanced Cubes! That is wonderful!

You can also put her in boots and pads to help ease her pain as well.

Others will chime in, I am sure.

  • low carb (less than 10% sugar+starch)
  • low fat (4% or less)
  • mineral balanced

Candice Piraino

Primary Response Team

September 2018, Summerfield, FL

Shark's Case History

Shark's Photo Album

PHCP Barefoot Trimmer @www.arkhavenfarm.com

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Mary,

Hoof pain clearing up after 2 days off grass sounds very typical for laminitis.  I agree with Candice about keeping her off pasture.  Since her turnout is only a few hours a day, she could go out with a closed off muzzle to exercise, as long as she doesn't exceed 4-6 hrs without food.

Also recommend testing her hay.  If it doesn't need to be soaked, then you'll want to know that.  We recommend the 603 Trainer package at Equi-Analytical.  It us the most accurate and will also give you major and trace minerals so you can check that her mineral needs are being met.

If she was mine, I would wait until mid-December or later, and redo the TRH Stim test, since your results were borderline for positive.  Make sure you take her off the Prascend at least 3 weeks before the retest.

You will get more feedback once you fill out a Case History, where you can fill in all her past bloodwork results and other relevant info.  You can upload pdf documents in the same folder you upload your Case History to, in our Case History subgroup.  You can also make a Photo Album there to upload hoof and body photos.  You have received instructions on joining our Case History sub-Group and downloading the form; at the end of the form are instructions on getting it uploaded.  Let us know if you get stuck along the way, and check out our "Wiki" to learn more about how this online platform works...it will answer questions you didn't know you had!

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History