Invokana pony Scout. Dr Kellon

Suzy Berkowitz

Hi Dr Kellon, Scout is acting lethargic today. I locked him in his stall with a bucket of beet pulp and a bucket of the balanced hay cubes so I can monitor his eating this afternoon. He is eating.  Should I hold off giving him his invokana dose and see if he’s back to normal tomorrow? He has been acting great since starting invokana back in May. But he’s definitely worrying me today. Thank you
--
Suzy in Fl 2020
Scout Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Suzy%20and%20Scout

Suzy Berkowitz

I want to add, I think he’s a bit dehydrated by doing the skin pinch test. It’s been in the 90’s here for weeks, but I keep him clipped and he seems to be handling the heat well
--
Suzy in Fl 2020
Scout Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Suzy%20and%20Scout
Scout Photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=260915

Sherry Morse

Hi Suzy,

If he's dehydrated and not taking in enough fluid you need to at least touch base with your vet.

On Sunday, September 11, 2022 at 05:19:02 PM EDT, Suzy Berkowitz <soozbee83@...> wrote:

I want to add, I think he’s a bit dehydrated by doing the skin pinch test. It’s been in the 90’s here for weeks, but I keep him clipped and he seems to be handling the heat well
--
Suzy in Fl 2020
Scout Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Suzy%20and%20Scout
Scout Photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=260915

Suzy Berkowitz

Hi Sherry, I was wondering whether he should get some fluids either by tube or I.V. But my vet never takes Scout’s PPID/I.R. into consideration when prescribing him things so I would like Dr Kellon to tell me what is and isn’t safe to do. Thanks
--
Suzy in Fl 2020
Scout Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Suzy%20and%20Scout
Scout Photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=260915

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Is his temperature normal? Mucus membranes? Passing normal manure and urine amounts? How much salt does he get Do NOT give his Invokana if he is not eating normally or if he is dehydrated. If you can't tell or don't know the answer to any of these questions, get your vet to evaluate him.