Invokana vs Metformin

Kelly Kathleen Daughtry

Sorry if this has been explained before. I looked in the files but didn’t see anything about Invokana.  My vet is coming out on Thursday to do radiographs of Micah’s feet. She is foot sore on her front feet. I am, of course, worried that she has low grade laminitis.  If that is the case, I am thinking it may be time to add Metformin. I wasn’t sure if Invokana was better. I’m not exactly clear on what Invokana is.
--
Kelly & Micah, Clayton NC

April 2016

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20%20Micah

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1829  .

Sherry Morse

Hi Kelly,

Metformin is the first line of defense for refractory insulin (insulin that stays elevated in spite of diet changes and the other changes we discuss in the welcome letter).  If metformin stops working or doesn't work at all that's when we recommend trying Invokana.

Looking at Micah's CH you don't have a current or ideal weight listed for her so we can't advise you if her current diet is correct or if it needs to be revised.  As far as the last set of test results - is there a reason you have question marks next to Cornell?  Was this test fasting or not? At this time her insulin doesn't look like it's high enough to warrant medication.

It would be helpful to us if you could share pictures of Micah as well as her current trim so we can help you help her.

Kelly Kathleen Daughtry

Thanks for the response! I so appreciate the time you take to do it!  Sorry it took me so long to answer. I do appreciate the help! I was waiting to get the radiographs of Micah's feet sent to me. I have posted the radiographs ( I hope) and a picture of her weight.  I think she is the correct weight but needs more top line.  The terrific news is that it does not appear there is any damage to the laminae so it seems there must be something else going on. The vet came out yesterday and couldn't find any reason.  He checked for saddle fit, kissing spine etc.  but saw no reason. He said it was behavioral. Perhaps that is the case but I have owned Micah for 8 years and know her very well.  She is not demonstrating typical behavior and there have been no other changes. I am going to continue to investigate.
The reason there is a question mark by the Cornell is that the vet did not tell me where he sent the test but I assume it was Cornell because that is who this vet uses.  The test was not done fasting. That being said, she hadn't eaten any grain (she is on Stabul), hay (it is wetted) or Timothy Cubes in several hours.  She came in from the paddock where she has a grazing muzzle. She does get a little grass through it.
Kelly
--
Kelly & Micah, Clayton NC

April 2016

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20%20Micah

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1829  .

Kelly Kathleen Daughtry

I just realized the photos are not linked. To be honest, I was having a hard time doing that yesterday. I have a file set up. MIcah Daughtry 2021 but will see what I can do about adding them to my  signature line
--
Kelly & Micah, Clayton NC

April 2016

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20%20Micah

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1829  .

Hi Kelly,
If you click on the link in you signature that says Photos, you will access your photo album.  Once there, click on the blue button that says ‘Add Photos’.  You will, of course, need to know where the files are on your device so you can add them.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Sherry Morse

Hi Kelly,

You now have 2 albums:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=264981 which has the pictures you just uploaded and https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1829 which is your original album.

Please update the link in your signature to the album that has pictures in it.  To do that:

1) Go to this link to amend your auto-signature: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/editsub

2) Look at the bottom of that page for the window that has your signature in it.

3) Delete the current photo album link

4) Enter the new photo album link under your CH link and add a space to make it live if necessary

5) IMPORTANT: Scroll to the bottom and hit SAVE!

Sherry Morse

Hi Kelly,

I would suggest you label the photos so we know which foot is which and then post a new topic asking for input on her current trim.  It would be helpful if you could add hoof pictures as well: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki#Photos-and-Hoof-Evaluation-Help and a side shot.  From the picture you posted I would agree she's at a good weight but perhaps could use more muscle.

Is she still lame?  Did he say anything about the bony changes evident in the x-rays?