Topics

Iodine salt

jessica skene

Hi!

I don‚Äôt know why, I thaught we should give plain salt without iodine! ūüėÖ
but I read we should give ionized salt... what quantity should I give to a 1000lbs mare? Her hay analysis is in my files. Is there a fit all quantity we should give to an average horse?

--
Jessica Skene  - Abitibi, Québec, Canada
Sonara => Canadian X QH mare , 11 years old, historic of founder and suspicion of IR

october 2017

Link to case history: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jessica%20Skene%20and%20Sonara/SonaraCaseHistory.pdf
Link to album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=10295&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Link to hay analysis: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jessica%20Skene%20and%20Sonara/analysedefoin.pdf

jessica skene

In fact I do not have iodine level in my hay analysis shoot

--
Jessica Skene  - Abitibi, Québec, Canada
Sonara => Canadian X QH mare , 11 years old, historic of founder and suspicion of IR

october 2017

Link to case history: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jessica%20Skene%20and%20Sonara/SonaraCaseHistory.pdf
Link to album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=10295&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Link to hay analysis: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jessica%20Skene%20and%20Sonara/analysedefoin.pdf

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

It depends on how much he is getting from his supplements. If it's under about 4.5 mg you should use iodized salt too. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale
EC Owner 2001

jessica skene

She gets half the ration of mad barn aminotrace +, some pelleted hay, linseed, selenium:vitE
--
Jessica Skene  - Abitibi, Québec, Canada
Sonara => Canadian X QH mare , 11 years old, historic of founder and suspicion of IR

october 2017

Link to case history: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jessica%20Skene%20and%20Sonara/SonaraCaseHistory.pdf
Link to album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=10295&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Link to hay analysis: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jessica%20Skene%20and%20Sonara/analysedefoin.pdf

jessica skene

So I should give ionized salt half the dose she should need if not having aminotrace+ ?
--
Jessica Skene  - Abitibi, Québec, Canada
Sonara => Canadian X QH mare , 11 years old, historic of founder and suspicion of IR

october 2017

Link to case history: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jessica%20Skene%20and%20Sonara/SonaraCaseHistory.pdf
Link to album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=10295&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Link to hay analysis: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jessica%20Skene%20and%20Sonara/analysedefoin.pdf

Nancy C

Hi Jessica

Here's what I would do, based on Dr Kellon's answer.

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/242969

Look at the Amino trace and determine how much is in a half scoop.

How much is it? If it is under 4.5 mg -- which is most likely  -- use the iodized salt too.

The total amount of iodine from supps and iodized table salt should be about 4.5 mg

You  might like this handy Salt Measurement guide from the FILES

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/5%20Core%20Diet/3.%20Minerals/Salt%20and%20Iodine/Salt%20Measurement.pdf

--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2020 NO Laminitis! Conference, October 22 - 25, Harrisburg, PA

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

An ounce of iodized table salt with the Mad Barn will do it. Ounce = just under 30 g.

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale
EC Owner 2001

What is the percent of iodine contained in iodized salt?

Thanks so much!
Amber

--
Amber, Calliber and now Marquise
Upstate SC

NRCPlus Jan 2019
CIR 2019
DEW 2019

Calliber Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Amber%20and%20Calliber ( https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Amber%20and%20Calliber )
Calliber Photos https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=82557 ( https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=82557 )

Marquise's Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Amber%20and%20Marquise
Marquise's Photos https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=91447

Sherry Morse

According to the Mayo clinic:
Iodized salt in the U.S. contains 45 micrograms of iodine per gram of salt.

jessica skene

Awsome! Thank you so much dr kellon!