Topics

Is Pergolide compound as good as Precend?

NinaJW

Jadon is on 1 1/2 tablets per day. No symptoms. Some obvious visual signs(to me). This stuff is PRICEY! Make no mistake I’ll buy it some how some way regardless. However, Pergolide is substantially less expensive. My vet will compound it if I insist but does not want me to switch because of variance in dosage with the compound and Jadon takes the pills easy peasy. So, to switch or not to switch is the question?? And are there different side effects? Thanks
--
Nina and Jadon
Kentucky 2020

 Hi Nina,
Prascend is a brand of pergolide which is packaged uniquely.  The powder is pressed into a tablet, which is packaged in a sealed foil packet containing nitrogen.  Pergolide has limited stability in water or moisture so the packaging prolongs the shelf life considerably.  Due to the way it is calculated, there is 1.3 times as much active component in a 1 mg Prascend tablet than a 1 mg pergolide capsule so the equivalent amount of pergolide you need for 1 1/2 Prascend would be 2 mg.

There should not be a variance in dose if the pergolide is bought from a reliable compounder.  I would look for a compounder who sells a lot of pergolide so that it’s more likely to be fresh.  Compounded pergolide needs to be purchased much more frequently than Prascend.  There are pros and cons for each but the active drug is the same.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

NinaJW

Thanks Martha! Is this a product I can buy from a reputable lab anywhere to come to me?
i thought it was compounded into syringes, am I mistaken?
--
Nina and Jadon
Kentucky 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nina%20and%20Jadon

Hi Nina,

Many of our members use Pet Health Pharmacy in AZ or Wedgewood Pharmacy in NJ.  Compounded pergolide comes in multiple forms with liquid being the most unstable, although we've had some recent discussion on the differences of pergolide in oil stability vs. pergolide in water (definitely a no go).  One of the advantages of using compounded is that they can put whatever amount you need in a single capsule so you don't need to worry about multiple pills being used at a time.

Because of the differences in the amount of active drug in the BI version you do need to make sure your vet sends the prescription in correctly.  As per Dr. Kellon (https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/256344):

To guarantee your tablets are equivalent to the dosage in a Prascend tablet the prescription should read:

                                   1 mg of pergolide from pergolide mesylate

Nina, you may have picked up the idea about compounding into syringes from discussion here about giving it in a syringe when the horse is fussy about taking the capsule.  In that case, the caregiver would take the capsule, as supplied by the compounder, and dissolve either the capsule or its contents in water to administer by syringe.