Topics

jesse mouth issues

LJ Friedman

Sunday 6/28/20 , I Jesse went off of his food and water very significantly. For him not to eat is always a cause of concern because of his leptin and he never gets the hungry signal. Here’s a video of what’s going on. Barn manager seems to think a pocket filled up with pellets, causing discomfort. He syringed the mouth with water  and he seems to improved eating and drinking well. The plan is to rinse his mouth a few times a week. I have a dentist scheduled to come out in july. So I will get that confirmed as well. Any thoughts on this? There is another horse in the barn that has the same issue I’m told. And remember jesse had significant teeth removed because of the EOTRH, so certainly he does have plenty of pockets from all these extractions

https://youtu.be/LnHhmwubY1E

?

--
LJ Friedman  Nov 2014 Vista,   Northern  San Diego, CA

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History 
Jesse's Photos

LJ Friedman

i sent an email to dental vet that did jesse’s surgeries. The Barn manager is going to change his feeding schedule to five times a day instead of four, thinking that less food at one time might be beneficial?
--

Jesse's Photos

Hi LJ,

I've noticed the same thing in other horses with missing teeth.  Washing the mouth frequently isn't a bad idea.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012 

Logo (dec. 7/20/19), Tobit(EC) and Pumpkin, Handy and Silver (EC/IR)

Martha and Logo

Sherry Morse

Hi LJ,

If it's possible to do more feedings with less food that might be helpful, but the biggest thing is probably just be going to keep an eye on him and if he's doing that odd chewing behavior checking to see if anything is stuck.

One of my friends has a mini who has issues with food accumulating in pockets in his cheeks - when I watch him I usually have to swipe each side clean ever day or two.  With him it doesn't cause him to stop eating or drinking, but he starts to look like he has chipmunk cheeks and that's when I know I need to clean him out.

Deb Walker

First of all LJ...what an AWESOME barn owner you have. Not many boarding facilities will accommodate multiple feed schedules, etc.

Scotty pretty much eats like that all the time...and he has only had one tooth extracted. But all of his back teeth are worn completely smooth, and even eating his hay mush becomes a challenge. One thing that I noticed with Jesse is that he is eating out of a bucket hung on stall. You might want to try a larger trough on the ground. Scotty seems to do better when he is eating with his head down...I think it's the rule of gravity that helps.
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History:
 https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Deb%20and%20Scotty
Photos:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90619

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

LJ,

Those extraction pockets are filled in by now. Older horses do have spaces called diastema develop between their teeth at the gumline and these can become impacted with food and inflamed. Could be something unrelated too. Your exam will tell.
--
Eleanor in PA

www.drkellon.com 
EC Owner 2001

LJ Friedman

thanks for the reply about the pockets. I will have an exam for with.  Do you agree that a dental vet( The one that did his big surgery) should have eyes on him? Or would  a general vet also be OK
--

Jesse's Photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

LJ,

I had the same thought (your regular vet) although the dentist may be better equipped to do a full exam.
--
Eleanor in PA

www.drkellon.com 
EC Owner 2001