Topics

Jherb and pulses question

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

If Jherb increases circulation in the feet, would it be logical to conclude that it could also increase pulses in the feet?
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

Nnot in my experience. My pulse-y mare who has always been on J-herb to encourage hoof growth has detectable pulses in front always, never behind. My non-pulse-y mare had detectable pulses on J-herb only a few times for a few days and each time, there was a reason (abscess, flare of DSLD-like dropped fetlocks).
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Trisha DePietro

Hi Nancy.  Unless an herb has the ability to bind  or block  receptor cells located in the heart muscle, conduction system or rate system of  the heart,  it  would not be able to affect a pulse felt in an extremity.    The pulse is a product of  heart function and is actually a "wave" that is generated by the bloodflow coming out of the heart and traveling down the various arteries, in a very high pressure system. I am not sure of exactly how Jherb works. But I would agree with Cass, the pulse is coming from a problem with in the hoof...ie abscess, etc.  Also, I am sure you know this, but just in case, make sure your own thumb is not used when feeling for a pulse....you will feel your own pulse and think its the horses pulse! :)
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Thanks Trish, I was just thinking that because it a vasodilator that perhaps it's action could increase the pulse?

I have that read it can decrease pulses. But I suppose that is the action of addressing whatever is going on inside the hoof??
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

The pulse is a reflection of the pressure in the artery.  Some of this comes from the volume of blood that is being forced through it but it is also a function of the diameter of the vessel. Jiaogulan relaxes/dilates the vessels in the periphery, which decreases the pressure in the system.

In hormonal laminitis with high insulin, there is an imbalance between dilating nitric oxide and constricting endothelin-1. Jiaogulan corrects that imbalance.

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Cheryl Oickle

This discussion has prompted a question.
Is it then possibly beneficial to give J heb prophylactically on IR /Cushings Horses that have high range normal insulin? Otherwise asympotomatic?
Cheryl and Jewel

--
Cheryl and Jewel
Oct 2018

Cheryl,

I don't see anything wrong with that but there are likely other effects like abnormal cellular proliferation that J may not address. Getting the insulin down is where the focus should be.