Topics

JHerb Question

lfitz66

I see it is noted in many places that Jiagogulan should be given separate from meals. Does this include hay? I can easily separate it from ALL food in the afternoon, but in the morning I only have a certain amount of time to work with. I give it to her, I clean her stall, and then she gets her morning hay. Also does this group support pairing it with AAKG?
Thank you!
--
Leigh and May
Michigan

Maxine McArthur

Hi Leigh
If you are giving the J-herb around 20 minutes before her morning hay, that's fine. I often end up with only ten minutes between arriving, syringing the j-herb, preparing and feeding hay, but the main thing is that you check the gums to make sure you are dosing to effect. If her gums are pinker, what you are doing is working. If not, you can increase the dose a bit and see how that goes.

As far as I know, the AAKG is used when tendon/ligament damage is suspected or support is needed, or for winter laminitis. There are some cautions on the use of both jiaogulan and AAKG. Have you seen the documents in our Files here? main@ECIR.groups.io | Files

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

hdavis

How long does it take the j herb to be out of the horses body say for example if you want to check your dose and start again?

I have a horse which may be getting too much and want to restart so was just wondering on the appropriate timing for that.  Sorry for hijacking this post!

If you are giving the J-herb around 20 minutes before her morning hay, that's fine. I often end up with only ten minutes between arriving, syringing the j-herb, preparing and feeding hay, but the main thing is that you check the gums to make sure you are dosing to effect. If her gums are pinker, what you are doing is working. If not, you can increase the dose a bit and see how that goes.

As far as I know, the AAKG is used when tendon/ligament damage is suspected or support is needed, or for winter laminitis. There are some cautions on the use of both jiaogulan and AAKG. Have you seen the documents in our Files here? main@ECIR.groups.io | Files

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

lfitz66

Thank you, Maxine. Yes, I have read the files. We did have some winter laminitis happening and that was why the suggestion of pairing with AAKG was made.
--
Leigh and May
Michigan
Joined 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Leigh%20and%20May

Hi Heather,

Rather than stopping, why don't you just decrease the dose to the typical starting dose and then go up again as indicated by gum color.

hdavis

Perfect!  Thanks Sherry!!

Rather than stopping, why don't you just decrease the dose to the typical starting dose and then go up again as indicated by gum color.

--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Candice Piraino

Leigh- I just wanted to let you know I personally feed my gelding 1 tablespoon twice a day. So you might want to increase if you haven't seen the gums change pink. And of course you don't need to jump up that high- just a gradual increase per reading her gum coloring.
--

Candice Piraino

Primary Response Team

September 2018, Summerfield, FL