jiaogulan & melanomas

rozaniloc@...

Hello all -

I have been searching for a recent reply from Dr Kellon about the use of jiaogulan in horses with melanomas which cited a study which link I wanted to send to my vet, but now I cannot find it! If anyone remembers that & could share me the link to the message I would appreciate it.

However I did find a response from 2020 when Dr Kellon mentions - "She should not use AAKG because it indiscriminately increases nitric oxide and this is a method melanomas use to spread. The Jiaogulan on the other hand has shown many anti-malignancy properties but had not been specifically tested for safety with equine melanomas. If she continues to use it she should monitor the size and number of the masses carefully."

So I am believing I had better stop the jiaogulan I am giving Sunday as his melanomas have grown this past year.  Many variables, including that his PPID was not controlled when we checked this spring (has been improving now with increased pergolide, & we just drew blood to recheck last increase) & I was giving him cannabis oil, not knowing the CBD could interfere with the pergolide (have stopped cannabis oil). But the jiaogulan could also be a factor (I was giving more to hopefully help unsoundness (arthritis, bone chips, tendon injury & possible bone cyst) so I could stop it - do you agree?

Rozanne & Sunday
July 02 2019  Larimer County, Colorado
case history:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Rozanne%20&%20Sunday
photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=93586

Edited

I would agree.  It’s always something you can restart if you decide it’s worth the risk.

There is a post here, most likely in a few places where topical application of cannabis oil, containing THC, was useful in suppressing melanomas.  I will poke around to see if I can find it but you should as well, if you’re interested.  It just a report on one person’s experience but it’s interesting reading.
You’re doing a great job of sorting these details out for Sunday!

I found the original post.  More recently there was another discussion of this but I don’t believe there were new information.

--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

rozaniloc@...

Thank you Martha.

I don't know that topical application of the cannabis oil is going to be practical - many of the melanomas are in his sheath & on the base of his penis. Also suspected in his rectum area somehow (not visible), as his anus is pushed to the side, but his manure outuput is normal.

Is cimetidine contra-indicated with IR & PPID? Does the group have any experience with its effectiveness with melanomas? We have not tried that route yet. So many balls to keep in the air with him! But he is worth it!

Rozanne & Sunday
July 02 2019  Larimer County, Colorado
case history:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Rozanne%20&%20Sunday
photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=93586

Qhgirl

I have heard CBD can be effective in slowing down melanomas but have not seen  research to back it up.  Maybe somone in our group can comment if they have experience with CBD and melanomas. I myself am prone to skin cancer and take CBD and have not has an occurrences since I began taking it.

I have also read that Panacure C can be effective against many cancers.  It was researched in the 1950's.  I was looking in NIH for confirmation and the first document I encountered is at the following link.  Mebendazole in Treating Patients with Recurrent, Refractory, or Progressive Pediatric Brain Tumors - NCI (cancer.gov)
--
Janet and Chicy
Chester SC

Qhgirl

Sherry Morse

Are you thinking about the message string in Horsekeeping? Horsekeeping@ECIR.groups.io | Jiagulan & skin cancer

Hi Rozanne,
I have not heard that cimetidine is contraindicated.  I used it on my gray pony (IR, PPID) for years and the melanoma did not appear to increase in size, nor did it disappear.  The pony died at an advanced age with a colic.  Whether the colic was related to the melanoma, I have no idea.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

rozaniloc@...

Thank you Martha

--
Rozanne & Sunday
July 02 2019  Larimer County, Colorado
case history:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Rozanne%20&%20Sunday
photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=93586

rozaniloc@...

Sherry yes! This might have been the messages I was remembering, but I thought there was a link from Dr Kellon about a study. I probably misread or misremembered. Thanks!
--
Rozanne & Sunday
July 02 2019  Larimer County, Colorado
case history:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Rozanne%20&%20Sunday
photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=93586

rozaniloc@...

Hi Janet - thank you for sharing your experience with CBD & the info on Panacur C.

I wanted to restate that Sunday has been on cannabis oil (legal in my state), which contained the full spectrum of CBDs, terpenes, THC - but then I remembered that I had seen Dr Kellon say that CBD is contraindicated in PPID horses. So I have discontinued the cannabis oil (& thus the CBD), and have increased his pergolide to bring the ACTH down into a better range.

Rozanne & Sunday
July 02 2019  Larimer County, Colorado
case history:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Rozanne%20&%20Sunday
photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=93586

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Just to be clear,

Those NIH linked studies were for the benzimidazole class of drugs. Strongid C is pyrantel tartrate, a different class of drug.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR