Topics

Jiaogulan quality

mega

So, I recently bought 1 pound of Jiaogulan from mybesthorse.com and it is green with a fairly strong smell, especially, when it gets a bit wet. I usually by the Jiaogulan from Uckele and it is usually brownish and I never noticed a particular smell. Does anyone know whether there is a difference in quality, which one might be better or how what to look for? Thank you!
--
Mega
Maryland

Lorna in Ontario

Hi Mega,

If you contact Joan,at My Best Horse, she can tell you where she sources her J-Herb, and possible reasons for its colour/aroma.

Www.mybesthorse.com

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002

Lorna in Ontario

Mega, I should have added that both Uckele and My Best Horse sell quality products.
You can't go wrong with either company.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002

celestinefarm

Mega,
I had received an unused package of jiaogulan from Uckele back in October and when I opened it, it was brown. I have always used jiaogulan from My Best Horse and found it to be a bright green powder. I also had personally consumed tea made from jiaogulan leaves from online companies , Immortalitea and Majestic Tea and the leaves were a darker , but definitely green color. ( I discontinued jiaogulan tea when it seemed to make me tired, but have recently resumed using jiaogulan through Immortalitea that is in capsules. The jiaogulan in their capsules is a dark green , but definitely green color powder. Not getting the tired effect like I did with the tea)

I mentioned the brown color of the jiaogulan here back in October and it was suggested I contact Uckele, which I did. One of their service reps asked me to text her a photo of the jiaogulan, which I did, and included a photo of the bag with the batch number and dates so she could show it to one the production staff members.. I have never received any reply back as to whether it was normal, etc. I've since repurchased jiaogulan from My Best Horse, and haven't had any issues with horses liking it.
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

mega

Thank you very much for your answers, Lorna and Dawn.
My IR/PPID mare, who gets only a small portion of feed does not seem to like it particularly, eats only a portion of her ration. I know, you are supposed to give it to them before feeding, the only way I could think is using a syringe and it is just a bit much. So I mix it with the feed, and just use a larger portion. The Uckele product always had this brownish color for as long as I am buying it, so that is why I was so suprised to see the somewhat bright green color. I get however the impression that maybe the product should be more greenish from what Dawn wrote. Maybe my mare will get used to it after a week or so. I think I will continue then to buy from mybesthorse.com.
Thank you again for your comments, I appreciate it.

--
Mega
Maryland
November 2019
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Mega%20and%20Aine

I’ve used both MBH and Uckele jiaogulan. The Uckele had a more smokey note that I found very appealing. My mares adore  both sources of JHerb. I fed it with maybe an ounce (3 tblspns) of dampened Stabul 1. My pickiest horse likes it so much I’ve used it to dust supplements. They like it more that CocoSoya. So if you experience an off odor, definitely contact the seller. The color ranges from almost tobacco colored from Uckele to pea green. Should have that dull, vaguely smokey scent.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Deb Walker

Since on/off using it, I have only ordered from My Best Horse. It is very green and lightweight...like a whisper of wind. It has a definite odor and I tasted it and sneezed...kind of like hay powder. Scotty doesn't seem to be fond of it, but I give him some (not before feeding) just in case it helps. His gums seem pink enough to me, but gotta stay on top of these old horses :)
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History:
Photos:

mega

Well, maybe I'll contact mybesthorse.com. The smell is smokey, but it reminds me a bit of an old ash tray. And when it is moist, it reminds me of burning rubber. But that might just be me. I'll just have to leave the Jiaogulan out for a couple of feedings to see whether my IR/PPID mare will eat her feed more willingly than what she is doing right now. Thanks for all your comments!

--
Mega
Maryland
November 2019
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Mega%20and%20Aine

Lorna in Ontario

I'm interested that people are reporting their horses' rejection of J-Herb.
The several in my herd  that I used to give it to all ate it as a paste, either out of my hand,or from a small bowl. I'm feeling fortunate.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002

Kirsten Rasmussen

I've had both brown and bright green jiaogulan from my best horse.  Both had a nice herby smell.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

jessica skene

I’ve always ordered from MBH and always had a green and smelly product! The smell felt herby and fresh to me tho!
my mare is on it for a year and it does the job really well. I need to give her with a seringe but my mare is super picky so no surprise there ahah!
on the bag of MBH they tell that it may have a change of colour from batch to batch! So it may be normal?
--
Jessica Skene  - Abitibi, Québec, Canada
Sonara => Canadian X QH mare , 13 years old, historic of founder and Laminitis, IR / EMS

october 2017

Link to case history: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jessica%20Skene%20and%20Sonara/SonaraCaseHistory2019.pdf
Link to album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=10295&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Link to hay analysis: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jessica%20Skene%20and%20Sonara/analysedefoin.pdf