Jiaogulan research on broodmares

DawnC

Has there been any research on broodmares taking Jiaogulan? I know there is a warning on the Uckele label of Jiaogulan "for pregnant animals and animals used for breeding". Just to clarify, I am not asking for Roma but a few months ago I took in a rescue mare in rough shape who I just found out is in foal. When she arrived, she had a body score of 2 and was started on hay, beet pulp, rice bran pellets & pasture. Even though she is about 11, I started her on Uckele Senior since I had almost a full container from my 32 yr old mare who passed. The new mare was listless (what I would call depressed) and seemed sore but not lame, so I decided to try her on the Jiaogolan. She was a different horse within a few days and I have kept her on it. I don't want her to regress but also afraid for the foal she is carrying. If there is any information on mares on Jiaogulan please point me in that direction. When I fix up feed tonight I will not add it in for her.

Dawn & Roma
Middletown, DE
August 2011

Sherry Morse

Hi Dawn,

As of last year the answer was 'we don't know' - Uckele Can I give Jiaogulan to my pregnant mare?  | ARTICLES

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Uckele Senior won't be adequate to support late pregnancy and lactation. Do you have a hay analysis? What is her breed? Any insulin testing? What is her body condition now?

Sore and lame are really the same thing. Pain is pain, although there are certainly degrees.

That caution is there because there is no information on Jiaogulan in pregnancy in any species. However, drugs that increase nitric oxide, like pentoxifylline, are used intravenously to treat mares with placentitis with no ill effects. Personally, if I had a mare in mid to late pregnancy that was laminitic I wouldn't hesitate to use it but I can't tell you there is no risk.

DawnC

Thank you Sherry!!

Dawn & Roma
Middletown, DE
August 2011

DawnC

Thank you Dr. Kellon!
Dolly is a bay Andalusian mare and has not had any bloodwork since I have had her. She came from Washington state with 4 inches of yak hair and body score of 2. She was stocked up for a few days after she arrived and literally slept flat out in the pasture for one day. Her hooves were very overgrown, and my farrier has taken them back in multiple visits. Her back hooves are not 100% but she is ok on the front. This is mostly the reason why I gave her Jiaogulan but it also helped her attitude immensely.
She is now just under 5 in body score - she no longer has the shelf below her topline and has filled in nicely over her ribs and spine with just a few noticeable vertebrae. Her hips are still a little noticeable too. Her current diet is mostly 24/7 pasture, daily amounts - 2lbs beet pulp, 2 lbs ODTB cubes, 2lbs Legends Senior feed, salt, 2 Tbsp Thorvin Kelp, 8 oz flax, 4 caps Vit E 1000iu and the Jiaogulan. I am almost out of the Uckele Senior, so I was going to mimic Roma's supplements (adjusted to her of course). I have on hand Uckele Mag ox 56, Uckele Triamino, Uckele Copper powder & Uckele Zinc powder.
Last year's hay was from multiple sources so not tested and we just received 2 loads of new hay which will be tested soon.
I did stop the Jiaogulan and appreciate your thoughts.

Dawn & Roma
Middletown, DE
August 2011