Topics

Joint Supplement

Donna

As we are working on switching so many things for our horse(s) - only one with Cushing's, the other 2 are babies - we are needing to find a good joint support replacement for Monte. He has currently been on Cosequine ASU, vet recommended, but he has decided he will no longer eat anything with it in it. It has been work to get just a portion of it into him since he has become resistant, but he needs a good replacement for his muscle/joint stiffness from age. The one that I've currently been looking at is Tight Joints Plus. Here is a link to their site if you need it: https://www.tightjointsplus.net/horse-arthritis-treatment-and-joint-repair-auburn-wa-html/ . Thank you for some insight into this area.
--
Donna R Conley - in Oregon, Columbia County, USA since 12-01-2020
Montes Case History.pdf (groups.io)

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Do you have any labs on Monte?

Donna

I am still working on getting all the data from the vets on his Cushing's diagnosis and numbers. Concerning the joint supplement, the vets had me put him on it when we first got him based off of age and just a bit of stiffness. As soon as I get the info in from the vets on his numbers and the X-rays of his feet I will upload them.
--
Donna R Conley - in Oregon, Columbia County, USA since 12-01-2020
Montes Case History.pdf (groups.io)

Kirsten Rasmussen

Neither of those joint supplements are safe for EMS horses due to the glucosamine (and also yucca in the TJ+).  Since he had a recent founder I would hold off on both of them for now until you have feedback from Dr Kellon based on Monte's bloodwork.  There are other, safer alternatives for arthritis that you can try if needed.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History