Lame

Lamourah Perron

Hello all,
My mare has been doing quite well till today. This morning she was hobbling so I put her boots on, gave her some CBD's and cal flor. This evenin, she is still really sore, changed out her pads in her boots and gave her previcox for pain.
I rasped her hoofs on Wednesday,  mo change I'd feed at all. Weather changed to cold and rainy.
Could this be seasonal rise?

--
Lamourah Perron
Queens Bay British Columbia

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Lamourah,

Yes, there is a very good chance this is related to the seasonal ACTH rise which peaks next week. You are the fifth or sixth this week on the group.  See https://drkhorsesense.wordpress.com/2021/09/16/fall-laminitis-risk/ . Check ACTH and insulin, tighten up diet as much as you can.  The ACTH may call for pergolide
but it often is not very effective when started this late.

Lamourah Perron

Thank you, she is on low tested sugar and starch hay. Is taking all the advised minerals along with Jiogolan. No pasture at all and us eating from hay nets.
Diet wise I think she is covered. She will be getting blood work in October. We do not have a regular vet in our area unfortunately.
I am giving her previcox for pain and keeping her hoofs trimmed regularly.
Is there anything else l can do?
I will be hand walking her as well.

Thank you,
--
Lamourah Perron
Queens Bay British Columbia
Hoof pictures Sept 2021

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

You could see if there is an experienced horse owner or a vet tech (e.g. from a small animal practice) that will pull blood for you so it can be taken to a vet willing to process and submit it for you. After that, see if a vet is willing to give you Prascend and metformin.

The Jiaogulan won't help her with Previcox on board.  Try to get some Devil's Claw.

Kirsten Rasmussen

You could also try soaking her hay for now.  If you see an improvement in pain within 3 days then you'll know it's helping.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Lamourah,

If she is sore, please don't force her to walk. Just allow her move at her own pace in a safe turnout area.

Her trim looks a lot better than many we see but could use a bit of tightening up. Hard to see exactly without a full set of hood photos, tho:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/1472

Getting lateral views, with her standing squarely, that include the cannon bones would be helpful. Her heels are underrun, so need to leave them alone to gain some vertical height. It appears as tho the breakover may be far enough back but the laminar wedge is still fairly extensive on those toes, so you can remove more of it with each trim adjustment. Frogs looks healthy and solid. Have a read here for a bit more on the soles and heels:

https://www.hoofrehab.com/HeelHeight.html

See esp. figures 2 and 3.

https://www.hoofrehab.com/HorsesSole.html

https://www.hoofrehab.com/Breakover.html

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Lamourah Perron

Thanks for the response. I will get better pictures tomorrow. My trimmer is coming out to check on her.

--
Lamourah Perron
Queens Bay British Columbia
Hoof pictures Sept 2021

Lamourah Perron

Hello Lavinia
My trimmer came out and she has an abcess, not a bout of laminitis. I am very relieved, though there is a lot to attend to.
Cheers,
--
Lamourah Perron
Queens Bay British Columbia
Hoof pictures Sept 2021

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Good news that it's not laminitis.

You should stop the Previcox as NSAIDs will slow down the maturation of abscesses and keep them simmering for longer periods. What do you mean there is "a lot to attend to"?

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Lamourah Perron

Hi Lavinia
I mean that I need to soak her hoof, flush the abcess, cold hose her leg as she has some swelling. If maybe from the abcess or she may have tweaked it. It has been raining and muddy here.
What would you suggest for pain management?
She is quite uncomfortable.
--
Lamourah Perron
Queens Bay British Columbia
Hoof pictures Sept 2021

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Edited

The best pain management is to let the abscess drain - usually, as soon as it bursts, the pain decreases quite a bit. As long as she is eating, drinking, peeing/pooping fine, best to let it run its course. Allow her to walk around at will, as that type of movement will also encourage it to drain. Anything that works on pain will slow maturation of the abscess.

Where did the abscess start to drain? Generally, just soak the hoof, apply a drawing poultice (Numotizine is a good one), wrap and boot.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Lamourah Perron

Hi Lavinia
The abcess is just above her central sulcus and her heal bulbs.

--

Lamourah Perron
Queens Bay British Columbia
Hoof pictures Sept 2021

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

There's no need to flush an abscess. The abscess has a wall around it created by the body to seal it off from healthy tissues. If you flush too forcefully, you could cause leaks in that wall and spread the problem. The abscess cavity will heal from the bottom up to skin surface.

Lamourah Perron

Thank you, I will not flush anymore. How often and how long(times/days) should I be soaking the hoof?