Topics

Laminitis and breathing problem

Tally

I am wondering if it is possible for a horse having an acute laminitic episode (like when they escape from a dry lot into a grass field) to also experience breathing issues if the underlying condition is there already.
I have seen this repeated twice with Roxy. If the grass was causing some kind of full body inflammation (not just feet), it may affect her lungs too.

Am wondering if this has been documented before or others have experienced it.
--
Nathalie, UK
Carer of Roxy and owner of Palermo

There certainly can be systemic inflammatory responses, but endocrine laminitis is not inflammatory. It may be that the more rapid and shallow breathing caused by pain is making signs more obvious.