Topics

Laminitis and Stabul1

Buzz

Buzzy is still quite sore from laminitis.  I posted his x-rays and updated his CH as requested. I have been doing the emergency diet, however I have used Stabul 1 (banana flavor) for his meds. Is it OK to be mixing in some of it in the emergency diet? Being a mini I have been giving him 1 to 1.5 lbs per feeding of the Stabul 1.
--
Marsha and Dame - Buzzy TN 2019

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marsha%20and%20Dame%20-%20Buzzy

Sherry Morse

Hi Marsha,

How tall is Buzzy?  Looking at the x-ray you just posted (looks like 2 copies of the right front) he has a bit of ski tip and a lot of excess toe.  Getting his trim in order will probably go a long way to helping him be more comfortable right now.  Stabul 1 is fine in small amounts but remember that overall you want to be feeding him no more than 2% of his ideal weight total - which means 7lbs if he is supposed to be 350.

Buzz

 Sherry!

Just got the x-rays corrected!  Hope that helps.  He is a mini and I haven't put a tape on him. I will try tomorrow.  The trimmer was out when he first was laminitic and trimmed his toes back and lowered his heels.  That was done about 10 days before the x-rays.  I will try to take photos of his feet tomorrow.  Thank you for helping us!!!!
--
Marsha and Dame - Buzzy TN 2019

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marsha%20and%20Dame%20-%20Buzzy

Donna Coughlin

I have a mini and several years ago Dr. Kellon said that 1 lb. of Stabul is the most he should be feed. The flavor doesn't matter. At that time he probably weighed 225 lbs.  He also got Triple Crown (then Ontario Dehy) Timothy Balance cubes and low sugar/low starch hay at that time. I hope that helps!

--
Donna Coughlin, Duke, Robin Goodfellow, Ariel Max and Obi over the Rainbow Bridge (5/17)

CT 2009

Buzz

-- ThNk you Donna! That helps a lot! This is the first mini I have cared for, so I'm learning!! He has dropped wt since this laminitis episode. He gets OTBC,  rsr BP, salt, vit E, TC flax. I've started givi ng him the Stabul 1 as a carrier for his prascend and gabapentin the vet has him on. Im away from the barn to give quantities as I realize are crucial. It's been such a juggling act with feeding. I have a horse recently dx. with PPID so trying to get her to eat too! Thank yoy for all the help!!
Marsha and Dame - Buzzy TN 2019

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marsha%20and%20Dame%20-%20Buzzy

Sherry Morse

Hi Marsha,

When you have a moment can you please add the link to your album to your signature: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=258797

If you need help with doing that let us know and we'll send you the directions again.

Thanks for getting the x-rays corrected - he still needs quite a bit of toe to come off on both feet. If he hasn't been trimmed since before the x-rays were taken it's not particularly surprising he's still showing signs of pain now.

If you could get a full set of hoof pictures up as outlined in the Wiki (https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki#Photos-and-Hoof-Evaluation-Help) and then post a message specifying that you're looking for trim advice Lavinia can give you specifics on what needs to be fixed to get him feeling more comfortable with regard to his trim.

Buzz

Ok Sherry! Thank you
And yes, can you send the directions to add the link to my signature.
Also, Dr K had mentioned he may have "collections" which are wuite laincul. WhT sre collections?
--
Marsha and Dame - Buzzy TN 2019

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marsha%20and%20Dame%20-%20Buzzy

Sherry Morse

Hi Marsha,

1) Go to this link to amend your auto-signature: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/editsub

2) Look at the bottom of that page for the window that has your signature in it..

3) Add the link https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=258797 below the link for your case history.

NOTE: Adding a space after your link or hitting enter on your keyboard will turn it blue which means the link is live..

4) IMPORTANT: Scroll to the bottom and hit SAVE!

Collections usually refers to an abscess but I don't see anything obvious on the x-rays that you posted.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Marsha,

As Sherry mentioned, collections usually mean abscess material.

The rads definitely show some slight bony column rotation and soles that are very thin. The thin soles alone could be the source of ongoing soreness, esp. if the feet are being trimmed regularly along the current angle of the sole plane rather than just lowering the heels and bringing the toes back. There should be absolutely NO sole being removed in the front half of the feet.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Buzz

Thank you Lavinia! I want to get some photos up as soon as I can. He's pretty sore to be trying to do it now. We did change trimmers and our new trimmer  just got the x-rays and will be out next week. Thank you again!
--
Marsha and Dame - Buzzy TN 2019

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marsha%20and%20Dame%20-%20Buzzy

Donna Coughlin

I'm very happy to be of help—passing it along as they say. I wish you the best of luck with your first mini! And your PPID mare. It was this group and its protocols that saved Duke in 2009 when he foundered and spent more time lying down than standing up. (See his Success Story on the ECIR website, line below.) And it's been Dr. Kellon's knowledge, the incredible moderators and Lavinia's trims that have kept him going. He is 44, I guess technically 45 now, and has been in my backyard barn for 23 years. He is the oldest horse in my vet's very large practice. He's feeling his age now, but still bright, alert, eating up a storm. He's on gabapentin because of a vestibular "attack" about 2 years ago, and I've kept him on it because there are still neurological vestiges of the disease (details in his looooong case history).
Please trust the advice you get here, and both your horses will be fine, even with your not being at the barn full time!

--
Donna Coughlin, Duke, Robin Goodfellow, Ariel Max and Obi over the Rainbow Bridge (5/17)

CT 2009

Buzz

Wow Donna!  Very impressive.  I feel very comfortable learning and following Dr. Kellon and the wonderful moderators here.  It is a wealth of information and so beneficial to our horses and you obviously can attest to.  Thank you for your encouraging words.  It gets rather stressful worrying about these beautiful creatures we love so much.  Only want the best for them!  Thank you!!!
--
Marsha and Dame - Buzzy TN 2019

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marsha%20and%20Dame%20-%20Buzzy

Buzz

Hi Sherry!

I have finally had a chance to do this! It has been so much easier since I switched to a lap top vs a tablet.  Thank you for your patience and help!
--
Marsha and Dame - Buzzy TN 2019

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marsha%20and%20Dame%20-%20Buzzy

Buzz

Hi Lavinia!  I have posted some mark up xrays from our trimmer for Buzzy.  I realize the photos I posted of his feet are poor quality.  I am going to try again today when I remove his boots to ck on his feet.  He was quite sore the day we tried.  He has sunk on all 4 feet and I am being told it's time for him to be put down!    We only had boots on the front, so the owner requested I order for the back.  I'm waiting for those to arrive.  They are the soft rides. He is still on gabapentin bid as well as the prascend and equiox per the vet.  I am being told he should have improvement by now. His diet has been OTBC, RSR BP, VIT E, Triple Crown flax and I have added Stabul 1 to get him to eat meds. Also he is on Teff hay which has been tested. The owner is out of town and returning next week to make some decisions, so in the meantime  I am trying to do all I can for him and am very concerned!!! This situation is a big learning curve and I feel very responsible for him. I bought a new computer to try to access this site better so I'm on a learning curve with it too!! I was using a tablet which was not very compatiblle!  I appreciate ANY help I can get to make his life better at this point!  Thank you!  I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help!!