Laminitis question

millionairess1989

Which disease is more likely to cause or contribute to laminitis-PPID or IR?

--
Jennifer in Middle TN  2010
 Mill 32 yrs Arabian-PPID, IR & Pacemaker Dependent

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Millionairess

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Jack-TN%20Walker

Kirsten Rasmussen

Edited

I don't think we can answer that.  They both do.  It depends on what the horse is diagnosed with, and how it is managed.

Approx 20% of horses have EMS at baseline.  But certain breeds have a higher incidence, and some breeds have essentially none.  Not all EMS horses develop laminitis though.

PPID gets more common with age, I've seen it here that about 1 in 5 horses over the age of 20 have PPID or abnormal ACTH.  If PPID is well-controlled by medication then laminitis is less likely.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Nancy C

Hi Jennifer

I might offer a different way to approach thinking about laminitis.  It is the hyperinsulinemia (high insulin) that is the issue driving laminitis driven by the endocrine (hormone) system, versus laminitis from grain room break-ins or black walnut poisoning.

PPID can drive hyperinsulinemia in some horses with PPID, especially if it is uncontrolled.

Controlling the insulin is the key, starting with diet, and then with drugs if needed for PPID, and now emerging drugs for insulin control.

Dr Kellon explains this well in the film Diet and Drugs.  https://www.ecirhorse.org/video.php

While you are there, Getting the Right Diagnosis will help with more background information.

HTH
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 13-15, ECIR Virtual Conference Room

millionairess1989

Thanks Kirsten and Nancy,

The premise for my question was that most of the vets where I work only test ACTH whenever there is a laminitic case. Personally I felt that they were missing out on half the diagnosis by not testing Insulin and Glucose to check for Insulin Resistance. Nancy-your explanation confirms what I thought I had learned from the group and the need to test for all three.

Knock on wood my 2 horses won't ever become laminitic because I know they're IR & PPID, so treat them accordingly. Fingers crossed!