Topics

Laminox/Phytoquench/Jiagloun/Alcar questions

Hello
I am wondering if Laminox / Phytoquench and/or Jiagloun is beneficial for horses with Navicular ?? I’ve got an IR warmblood that has Navicular and heaves ...I’m looking to find him a  good supplement for pain relief as well as help his allergies/heaves ...his feet are well balanced /trimmed and shod...he’s on no nsaids but is currently taking Zyrtec , Ventipulmin , Smart Breathe Ultra , and Aleira was just added due to a recent heaves flare up.
I have had him on Naviculasaver and Omega Alphas Antiflamm in the past with minimal improvement.

Also I have my mare on Laminox from a recent bout of acute laminitis brought on by steroids for her allergies...can I give her Phytoquench in addition to the Laminox ? Do people do that ??

Also..Another IR warmblood mare of mine has cervical arthritis ...I’m looking for a good joint supplement /pain reliever and hoof support(she’s got flat feet and in bar shoes) for her as well ..she’s currently getting Equinyl Combo w/ Ha. This mare also occasionally coughs when first being warmed up at the trot.

Thanks in advance.

--
Michele Goldberg
Bernville, Pa

Nancy C

Hi Michelle

As far as I am aware, these supps do not work for navicular.  Having one myself, it is the trim and work to build the back of the foot internally that relieves caudal foot pain.

I will defer to Dr Kellon on Laminox and Phytoquench, but a search of the archives found this on using the two https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/231222

IME, a tightly balanced diet has been a huge improvement for allergies and coughs.  Correctly balance d copper and zinc is really critical. Use of Spirulina also has been very helpful. https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/filessearch?q=spirulina

I can't speak to the cervical arthritis but trim can also have a big impact on flat feet.

Hope this helps.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 12-15, Harrisburg, PA

Alicia Harlov

Hi Michele!

Navicular rehab is a passion of mine. I have a few podcast episodes on it.

Navicular is a catch all term for "pain in the back of the foot." We can't always say for sure what that pain is- is it actually a horse sore from thin soles, laminae issues, thrush, crushed heels, broken back HPA, overtrimming, etc, or is it the bone damage and/or soft tissue damage found in diagnostics? Bone damage does not equate to pain, so I often have the owner treat the horse as if it was metabolic to eliminate diet or laminae inflammation as the reason the horse is sore. I would say about 60% of Navicular horses I see improve dramatically just from that.

That being said, once we see bone damage to the nav bone we can assume that the soft tissue surrounding the Navicular bone has been affected. I have suggested owners use jiaogulan for this and have seen good results as well. My one hesitation is that once an owner sees a more comfortable horse, they often want to start riding again right away which isn't necessarily good for the hoof rehab or the soft tissue rehab.

I have a blog post with various references on trial and error with rehabbing Navicular horses - I'll grab the link if I'm allowed to share it here.
--
-Alicia Harlov in South Hamilton, MA
PHCP hoofcare provider, The Humble Hoof podcast