Topics

Lavinia -Hoof Trim

Reta Heaslip

I have recently posted photos of a trim done by a new farrier for my horse. When you have time, Lavinia,  could you have a look to see if he's trimming the front feet correctly? Also, the farrier prefers to remove flares starting high on the hoof wall around the coronet band and working down about 1 to 1.5". I have never seen this done before. I understand this can compromise structure of hooves especially with horses that have foundered?? Could you provide guidance please? Also, should the rasping along wall edge (wall/sole) be done from the top, bottom, or both?  My horese is barefoot, if that makes a difference. I am on P. Poss's website reading about hoof trims to familiarize myself with the practice.
--
Reta
Sept 7, 2017

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Reta%20and%20Whistler .

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Edited

Hi Reta,

I took a look at the most recent photos. Toe length appears to be a bit longer than it should be, with the RF worse than the LF. Heels appear a bit underrun, again RF worse than LF. I can't really say more than that as to do so I'd need a full set of photos of all four feet, plus true laterals of all four that include the cannon bone with Whistler standing squarely on the leg being photographed.

I've never seen that practice before. I don't understand rasping along the top of the hoof wall as that would be the area that is already the healthiest and best attached so would not need any adjusting - it's the bottom of the walls that require the adjustments.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Hi Reta,
My thought about the rasping below the coronet band was that he was attempting to disrupt the periople so it would come off more easily.  He appears to be more scratching the surface up than completely removing it.  Being curious, I looked around and came up with this Scoot boot posting you might find interesting.  Don’t hesitate to ask him to skip that step if you want to see how willing he is to accept your input.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Reta Heaslip

Thank you for your responses. Always appreciated. Good advice - I will ask the farrier not to rasp the upper hoof wall. It is disconcerning when for the past 17 years it has never been done. New information for me - not familiar with "periople". Will read the link.

I agree, better photos need to be taken. Following the upcoming trim I'll take pictures of all four feet. And, Lavinia, I will share your comments with the farrier.and hopefully get the trim back on track.