Lavinia or Dr Kellon please review latest photos from 06/12/22 for advice for improvement on trim

Jean

In the second week of May, I noticed a very large lump on  Merlin's right elbow extending into shoulder (olecranon bursitis) I sent photos to vet who recommended ice and bute. I had given him one dose of PCN IM as well the day prior. He had some improvement but then the edema extended down his RF leg to his knee. Vet came out May 18th completed u/s and found no concerning issues. Gave him sulfa bid for 7 days and continued anti-inflammatory gel, cold water. I feel he was kicked by the other horse in play and sustained a hematoma. About day 8, I was rubbing over the area and merlin was quite enjoying the scratch. I did open up a small area of a scab right over the olecranon process and had small amount of serous drainage., I was able to squeeze more out, but not much and he did not mind me doing this. I put a moist warm pack on for a couple of days and was able to get a little more out, He has been sore on that side from the start of all of this. He was without his boots for a long time and doing well I thought maybe he was still sore from this injury, but put his cloud boots on this past Sunday and he is more comfortable walking about.

I trimmed Merlin 06/12/22 and would like some feed back for any improvements,
Thank you very much in advance
--
Jean Hinrichsen WI 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jean%20and%20Merlin

Hi Jean,

Could you please label your photos as outlined in the Wiki (https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/Hoof-Related-Photo-Instructions) as that will help us greatly.

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

All feet look long. Please  measure collateral groove depths at tip of frog and back at the heels.

Breakover needs to come back on both fronts. Don't let the tip of the frog fool you.

Center of breakover has been artificially made to line up with the fetlock instead of the pastern. Draw a line that evenly bisects the front of the pastern and carry that to the ground. You will see both front feet are naturally made to toe out and center of breakover is too far medial. Same may be true for the LH but you can also get that marked flaring with a stifle problem.

Personally, I'm a stickler for laid over bars getting cleaned up because that can cause significant bruising. You should be able to get  your hoof pick under the edge of the bars and have them pop right off. Any sole that comes off with a hoof pick is fair game also.

Jean

Thank you Dr. Kellon, I will get right on that today!