Lavinia-Requesting Advice for Farrier on New Radiographs

denisegoergen@...

I uploaded new front radiographs. Dakota is living in boots and seems comfortable. The vet didn't have any recommendations and leaves trimming to the farrier. He is very good but also very receptive to any advice. The vet mentioned something about a "line" that may need to be opened but didn't really commit one way or the other.  I really appreciate any comments. How frequently should he be trimmed during the Wisconsin winter?

Thank you,

Denise
--
Denise and Dakota (PPID + IR)
Wisconsin

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Denise%20and%20Dakota

denisegoergen@...

I forgot to mention that the farrier comes Monday so any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you, Martha, for your earlier comment.
--
Denise and Dakota (PPID + IR)
Wisconsin
2022

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Denise%20and%20Dakota

Kirsten Rasmussen

Not Lavinia, but I'll offer my thoughts until you hear from her.  Overall trim I think has improved a lot since September.  The breakover appears to be in a good place on the Left Front (breakover is almost exactly where the tip of the coffin bone projects to the ground), but the Right Front breakover needs to come back a bit.  The "line" your vet referred to is probably the abscess track we see on the RF hoof wall in the lateral view.  That will either grown out or break off on its own.  No need to bore it out or do a resection.  Just keep the toes trimmed back to minimize pressure on it so the hoof wall doesn't break off until it's mostly grown out.

I would trim every 4 weeks at a minimum, even in winter.  And keep boots with pads on until the soles thicken.  There is some new remodeling of the coffin bone tips on both fronts since the September rads, which is telling you these hooves need protection until the soles thicken up.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (EMS + PPID) and Snickers (EMS) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Snickers' Case History
Snickers' Photo Album

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Denise,

I've added a couple of mark-ups to Dakota's album:

Agree with what Kirsten has already said. Your farrier has done a nice job of backing the toes up to pull the breakover into a better position. Soles are definitely thin, so NOTHING should be removed from the bottom of either foot, as there is already too little material there to begin with. There is sinking, which was also present in the earlier rads, but hard to discern how much as the coronary band location wasn't marked when the rads were taken. That is contributing to the thin soles. HPA on both is broken back, which means the bony column is dipping back and down from being in good alignment. This has been an issue in all the previous rads as well, so not a new problem. Heels are somewhat underrun but hard to tell by how much without good, current hoof photos. Do not try to move the heels back any at this time as doing so will only make the low palmer/plantar angles worse. Bit of a ski tip has developed on both, which indicates the toes being too far out ahead of where they belong has been an ongoing issue.

RF DP 60: Solid blue line is where to toe needs to be backed up to, with the blue hashed area being the excess toe length. There isn't a lot at ground level, more of it is actually the remaining laminar wedge above the ground.

RF lateral rad: Pink line shows where the bony column wants to be lined up and ends where the breakover (and sole depth) should be. Breakover should be where the solid blue line intersects with the current sole depth at ground level.Blue area is the toe that can be backed up more. The purple line follows the actual alignment - see how it dips back and down behind the pink line.Green line shows angle of the new, healthier growth coming in under the coronary band.The older growth then starts to pull away from that angle as you move closer to the ground. Red line shows where the bottom of the foot should be and indicates that there is less-than-nothing to work with along the bottom of the foot. Orange line shows where the heels should line up when everything is healthy. Lime line indicates the need to add vertical height to the back half of the foot, thereby increasing the palmer angle. Yellow arrow points to that abscess(?) tract, which appears to have extended to ground level at this point, so likely drained. If it hasn't appeared already, when the toe gets backed up a bit more, it will likely uncover that hole.

LF lateral rad: Same idea as the RF. Again , there is a broken back HPA, not enough sole depth - so nothing off the bottom of the foot. Take a bit more of the laminar wedge above the breakover away - area in blue.

I can provide more specifics regarding trim strategies with a full set of current hoof photos - of all four feet.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR