Looking for a supplement for sore joints,stiffness

CYNDI CARLSON

Hi,
I am finally able too walk Saraphina in her sandy pen! She is very stiff but she does loosen up as we walk. I love that she is willing and licking when walking. Speed is up to her, as we walk she starts moving a little faster on her own.I really feel this is good for her or I would not walk her.My concern is she has been standing around for soooo long she has joint stiffness ,muscle atrophy so I’m looking for a safe effective product recommendation since there are so many products out there to choose from.
--
Cyndi Carlson in Colorado 2021

Hi Cyndi,
Good news!  I suspect she will continue to loosen up with time but many people here use a product called MovEase.  It’s a proprietary mix so I don’t know what’s in it but it was developed by a member here, with Dr. Kellon’s guidance.  The company that makes it is called My Best Horse and they sell other ECIR friendly products as well.  I use it on all my creaky old critters.  It’s been so long that I’m not certain it helps them but I’d rather not stop.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Deb Walker

Cyndi - I also have used MovEase for a couple of years. I am pretty sure it helps with stiffness and like Martha said, I would be afraid to stop it.
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History:
Photos:

Sue Ring

--
Sue R in NC 2021

CASE HISTORY:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sue%20and%20Shifty

PHOTO FILES:

Stacey Smith-Bohn

-- I’m following this post, can anyone tell me if this product  is safe to use with J-herb?
Stacey Smith-Bohn, New Jersey, 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Stacey%20and%20Terry

Cyndi,

I would wait a few weeks before deciding if you need anything for joints but in the meantime get her on Jiaogulan.  This type of presentation is classical for feet with poor perfusion. It improves as they get moving. https://uckele.com/jiaogulan-powder-1lb-bag.html [5% off with coupon code ECIR]

Maxine McArthur

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 10:14 PM, Stacey Smith-Bohn wrote:I’m following this post, can anyone tell me if this product  is safe to use with J-herb?
Stacey, you can use mov-ease and jiaogulan together. See, for example, this thread: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/259740

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

CYNDI CARLSON

Dr. Kellon,
I have been giving her Jiaogulan for about two weeks now. She would refuse to eat it until recently. She did not want anything to do with walking today, Should I not force it ? Give her time in between walking?Could her joints, tendons be bothering her since she has not been moving around much for several months?
--
Cyndi Carlson in Colorado 2021

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Cyndi,

She could be stiff or weak due to not moving much but there's really no good way to  separate that from foot discomfort other than a nerve block. Definitely don't force her if she doesn't want to walk but she should have an area where she can move on her own.

CYNDI CARLSON

Dr. Kellon,
I do believe her feet are sore as she is shifting back on her heels.I have been rubbing her legs with lineament ,it seems to help her.She has a large sandy area to move around. She is active in her pen at night as there are manure piles spread out in her pen. During the day she doesn’t move much, I find it interesting she moves, and eats more at night.
--
Cyndi Carlson in Colorado 2021

Cyndi, have you ever asked your vet to look at her eyes?  I wonder if it’s some sort of photo sensitivity?  Is it still hot there so it’s more comfortable outside when it’s cooler?  I know I asked once about where her “buddies” hang out but you said she avoids them.  Is that a part of this pattern?
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

lorraine kitral

--
Lorrie K
Illinois Member since 2016

CYNDI CARLSON

Hi Martha,
Thats interesting about her eyes, I willl ask the vet to look at them but she does hang out in her pen during the day. It’s been in the 70’s here cool at night, I put a light blanket on her at night because she is thin and I think her breed does get much of a winter coat. Her stall and pen are separate from my other horses. When I rescued her she was in a large pen with several horses and had a pretty bad bite wound, she really prefers to be by herself , I think it was a pretty bad experience for her on the kill lot.
--
Cyndi Carlson in Colorado 2021