Topics

Looking for alternative to steriod injections for cervical osteoarthritis

dbrowne123@...

Just prior to Penny being diagnosed with PPID, she was diagnosed with moderate to severe osteoarthritis of C6 -7 cervical facet.  Vet said this is causing her stumbling/buckling. Vet recommended cervical facet injections (steroids) to help with her stumbling/buckling, but we should test ACTH/Insulin prior to injections because if she has a metabolic problem, steroids would cause laminitis.  That's when I found out she has PPID.

So now that I know she is PPID, what can I use as alternative to steroid injections to see if it will help with her stumbling/buckling problem?

Thanks
--
Donna Browne and Penny
Scottsdale, AZ

Penny Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Donna%20and%20Penny .
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=258987 .

Hi Donna,
I would look further into her stumbling ...has she had a full neuro exam done? I’d suggest working that up getting a myelogram done to check if there’s actually any cervical compression of the spinal cord(wobblers) before injections. That aside ...there are other alternatives to steroids such as Pro Stride or shockwave , Mesotherapy etc....but none of that will help the stumbling problem if she’s got compression.

--
Michele Goldberg
Bernville, Pa

dbrowne123@...

Thanks Michele for your response.

The vet did a neurologic exam and a lameness test.  Based on what she saw she ordered full cervical Xrays.  She did mention taking measurements that might tell them if there's spinal cord compression or not.  She said she's in the "OK" range but what they really need is a 3 dimensional MRI, but they can't do that.

Injections were recommended as one option to help calm down the inflammation and take some of the discomfort off of those nerves.  She also recommended Acupuncture but based on my personal experience, I have opted out for now.  She said there's a hospital in California that does a CT myelogram to see if there is compression to the spinal cord.  Going to California is not an option for me. She said if she was falling or much more neurologic she would push for that more but based on what she sees, we can start with other treatments.

--
Donna Browne and Penny
Scottsdale, AZ
Dec 2020
May 2008 - Yahoo Groups

Penny Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Donna%20and%20Penny .
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=258987 .

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Sarapin is a possibility

https://www.drugs.com/drp/sarapin.html

I've used it extensively for back pain in horses but it is also described as anti-inflammatory.

Hi Donna...ok...I would steer clear of any steroids what so ever if she is IR/Cushings/EMS as they definitely can cause laminitis. There are other options such as Pro Stride , Noltrex ,Shockwave, Adequan /Legend as well as other modalities such as Bemer and PEMF.

--
Michele Goldberg
Bernville, Pa

dbrowne123@...

Thanks Dr. Kellon.

Are there any oral anti-inflammatory options safe for PPID/IR horses?

--
Donna Browne and Penny
Scottsdale, AZ
Dec 2020
May 2008 - Yahoo Groups

Penny Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Donna%20and%20Penny .
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=258987 .

dbrowne123@...

Thanks Michele, I will look into these options as I'm not familiar with any of them..

--
Donna Browne and Penny
Scottsdale, AZ
Dec 2020
May 2008 - Yahoo Groups

Penny Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Donna%20and%20Penny .
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=258987 .

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Oral NSAID drugs are only supposed to be used for 7 to 14 days because of the side effects - any horse. Devil's Claw based products like Phyto-Quench or Hemp Joint are far safer.

dbrowne123@...

Dr. Kellon:

Thanks so much. I agree, no NSAIDs even for me :)  And especially after a bad experience I may have had with long term use of Previcox for a gelding I had to put down after being on it for 7 months.  Blood work day before euthanasia showed kidney failure.

--
Donna Browne and Penny
Scottsdale, AZ
Dec 2020
May 2008 - Yahoo Groups

Penny Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Donna%20and%20Penny .
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=258987 .

dbrowne123@...

Re: Devil's Claw use as and anti-inflammatory option.

I researched the Phyto-Quench and Hemp Joint Support and noticed the caution label where it says "May be GI irritant, not to be used with patients with stomach ulcers."  Spoke to Uckele support and she recommended I ask more about this from Dr. Kellon.

Penny was treated for Equine Gastric Ulcer Syndrome (EGUS) – Grade 2; Equine Glandular Gastric Disease (EGGD)- mild/moderate during Nov/Dec 2020.  Does this mean I should not use Devil's Claw for her C6-7 osteoarthritis?

--
Donna Browne and Penny
Scottsdale, AZ
Dec 2020
May 2008 - Yahoo Groups

Penny Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Donna%20and%20Penny .
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=258987 .

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

That's an old precaution  that has been widely spread but never had any factual back up and has recently been disproven. I can't  say a horse with active ulcers would never react to it but  I have personally fed it to horses with confirmed ulcers and not had a problem. It's certainly far, far safer than NSAIDs in a horse with ulcers and it won't cause ulcers like NSAIDs can.

dbrowne123@...

That's good to hear.  I will give it a try.  thanks