Low ACTH result and handling protocol

Maria Duran

Hello all,

I have received a very low ACTH result from a 19 year old horse. It is only 2 pg/ml, the vet swears the protocol was correct. Glucose and Insulin are 90 and 25.13 respectively so I guess it was done correctly.

My question is if it is possible such a low result and also, looking for answers I found this study saying that ACTH does not vary greatly when cooled even if it is not centrifugued up to 36 h later.

Because recommendations are to centrifugue it as soon as possible or 4 h max, I wonder if this study is correct or not.

Thank you.

--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017