Lupin Hulls

Tori & Floss

There is a new bagged feed available in Australia called T&R Lupin Fibre Hulls.
The company is saying they are better than Speedibeet for horses with laminitis as they are lower in Iron, higher in fibre and less expensive.
I think it is perhaps borderline for a horse with laminitis as it is still high protein at 15.4% and Fat is at 3%?
Could somebody please give me their thoughts on this feed?
Thank you :-)
NEW Lupin Fibre Cubes | Low Sugar & Starch Horse Feed | Super Fibres (thompsonandredwood.com.au)
--
Tori

December, 2016

Adelaide Australia

Case History  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tori%20and%20Floss

Maxine McArthur

Hi Tori
Thanks for the heads up on this feed. Not sure if we’ll get it in the eastern states but I’d certainly be interested in trying it.

The protein is a bit high, but at 15% compared to, say Maxisoy at 14%, it’s not too bad especially if you are dealing with a low-protein hay. Slightly less fat than Maxisoy and better major mineral balance than either beet pulp or soyhulls. Also lower iron—much lower than speedibeet or Micrbeet. However, if I had a horse with active laminitis, I agree that it would probably be safer to stick to RSR beet pulp.
It could be a useful feed to have in the tool box though, for non-super sensitive or working individuals.

Also, given current supply issues with beet pulp and soyhull pellets (our stores have been running out lately), having a high-fibre, low sugar/starch feed made locally from local ingredients may be a godsend for many owners.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

This is going to be a good choice for most PPID/EMS horses and very similar to Maxisoy. I wish we had more options like those here!