Topics

Mad Barn Has Increased Product Favourites

Lorna in Ontario

Maybe this is old news?

Scott has added some products we need to use.Thank you , Scott.

https://madbarn.ca/shop/

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002

Lecia Martin

Not old news to me. Thanks for the heads up Lorna.
--
Lecia and Flyte
Alberta, Canada

Bonnie

Nice timing, Lorna. They had just what I needed. very easy checkout there too.
--
Bonnie and Lad
North Ontario

Susan

Does anyone know what the concentration is of their Chasteberry? I haven't received a reply from them. Would I feed it at the rate suggested by Dr Kellon  - ie  2 oz/day  - the same as the freshly ground whole berries?
Thanks
--
Susan in BC 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Susan%20and%20Copper%20and%20Ella

Kirsten Rasmussen

Thanks Lorna, that's great news!!!

On my last order of Amino Trace+ I requested jiaogulin, too, because heard through this group it was available but not listed online yet.  So nice to have a cheap (and Canadian) source for it!   Am also happy to see the vitE at a much better price than I've found elsewhere.  Thanks for letting us all know!

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

jmc

Well, darn. Those only seem to be available in Canada, not directly their US site.
--
Jodi
June 2018

Yankee Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jodi%20and%20Yankee

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=54386

Lorna in Ontario

Jody, fortunately for people in  the US there are lots of sources,which we iin Canada do no have.
We usually can order from the US sources,except  sadly from Uckele, but shipping charges and the dollar difference can make prices exhorbitant.
Also,these days it can be a nightmare getting things over the border.
Count your blessings.😊

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002
Check out ecirhorse.org FAQ - https://www.ecirhorse.org/FAQ.php

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Many (? most) imported supplements are actually not technically legal and could be stopped by Customs. VHPs, veterinary health products, are regulated by Health Canada which has different product classifications and labeling requirements than in the US, making registration difficult.

Lorna in Ontario

Yes, any companies I have spoken to about this definitely agree. It can be a hassle,and expensive for the company ,on top of it. Uckele explained that to me years ago ( Like a terrier,I keep going back to ask every year or so).The fee they would need to pay is outrageous, IMHO.
There is a supplement code that I have used for years,which is really helpful. But these days it seems that getting products over the border can be a crap shoot.
Even sending hay samples from here to Cornell  has become tedious.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002
Check out ecirhorse.org FAQ - https://www.ecirhorse.org/FAQ.php

Burgundyblankets@...

I'm in Wisconsin and have MadBarn on auto ship. They DO have a US website and vendor.
--
Mara S in Wisconsin 2020

jmc

Sorry, I meant the NEW stuff was not yet available in the US. I've had Yankee on AT+ for about 4 months now, and he's doing well - his feet, never bad, are showing improvement, even. Now, if I could just convince the mini mules the Mad Barn stuff is delicious - I finally got one mule on the AT+ (she flat refused the Omenity), the other one will eat a little Omenity but only about 1/4 of what she should get :(
--
Jodi
June 2018
NW Wyoming

Yankee Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jodi%20and%20Yankee

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=54386

Lorna in Ontario

Yes, I knew that,Jodi,
But my point still stands. We,in Canada,have yearned to easily get our hands on J -Herb, and the polys, and etc. for, oh , in my case about 20 years.

When our dollar was at par with the US,it wasn't too bad,although still the shipping charges(not usually free shipping crossing the border),and several weeks needed, were part of the picture. And now with Covid......

You have a number of good companies available to you in the US. Now we have MadBarn up here.
You can always ask Scott what he thinks about adding those items,to his American site, if you feel strongly about it. He's very approachable.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002
Check out ecirhorse.org FAQ - https://www.ecirhorse.org/FAQ.php

Lorna in Ontario

The copper and zinc listed  are proteinates, at this time.

I'm pretending that I know how proteinates compare to the poly form.( Not a chance.)
I've searched but can't  get the distinction. Are they very similar wrt bioavailability ?
The same ?
I'm just left thinking they are superior to the sulphates ( which MadBarn will be adding).
Am I close? ( sigh)

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002
Check out ecirhorse.org FAQ - https://www.ecirhorse.org/FAQ.php

JouleT

If I am not mistaken, Proteinates are considered “organic” minerals, which, in horses, have not been shown to be superior in absorption as they may be in other species (over inorganic forms, that is, such as sulphates). The poly is bound with a saccharide which is a sugar, in the form of a coating, which may protect it until it reaches the hind gut for absorption. The proteinate is bound to an amino acid which is not absorbed in the hind gut anyway, so may not actually be beneficial in horses.

Did I get that right Dr K?

Joule

On May 20, 2020, at 1:42 PM, Lorna in Ontario <windybriars@...> wrote:

The copper and zinc listed  are proteinates, at this time.

I'm pretending that I know how proteinates compare to the poly form.( Not a chance.)
I've searched but can't  get the distinction. Are they very similar wrt bioavailability ?
The same ?
I'm just left thinking they are superior to the sulphates ( which MadBarn will be adding).
Am I close? ( sigh)

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002
Check out ecirhorse.org FAQ - https://www.ecirhorse.org/FAQ.php

--
Joule Tallman
Barefoot Trimmer

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

 Mostly right, Joule! The polysaccharide coating on Poly minerals is digested off by enzymes at the absorptive surface in the small intestine, where most minerals  have their maximum absorption. Any remaining may be absorbed in the hind gut.  Only true chelates remain bound to the protein/amino acids throughout the digestive tract so you're right those cannot be absorbed in the hind gut.

Lorna in Ontario

Thanks Dr. K . and Joule,

I guess it's best to stick with the sulphates, which I've always fed, as opposed to using the proteinates.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002
Check out ecirhorse.org FAQ - https://www.ecirhorse.org/FAQ.php

JouleT

I’ve been using Zinpro chelates for a couple years, having been misinformed on their absorptive efficiency. Now switch over to sulphates due to the non-availability of Bulk polys in Canada. If I could find a wholesaler I’d go into business, but don’t even know where to look.

Joule