Mad Barn vs Vermont Blend

Sandy

Hi all - I am in need of reordering my supplement for my minis today.  I've been using the Mad Barn Amino+.  I have not yet tested my hay but am soaking it (grass with some timothy).  I'm giving iodized salt (on hay), vit E 400 IU/day and the Amino Trace+.  I'm currently using Poulan Carb Safe but only as a carrier so they are getting just a tiny amount of that (plan on getting Stabul1 when this bag is gone). The Mad Barn product is rather expensive and doesn't last long for the Amino Trace+ so was thinking of getting the  Vermont Blend as it will last much longer and is cheaper but I see it only has minerals and no vitamins.  In light of this, should I continue getting the Amino Trace or would I be okay on the Vermont Blend.  I know it's impossible to give a great answer since I don't have my hay tested yet so it's a guessing game but just thought I would ask ...... my finances are squeezed tight right now.  I have blood work to update but have not gotten a chance.  Crystal Blue is now in normal ranges for both ECTH and insulin (20 and 25).  Tiffany is still over in both (46.9 and 98).  Her dose of pergolide has been increased.  Will update when I can.
--
Sandy Kemp
Northeast Pennsylvania

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Sandy,

You're right that there is no "best" without a hay analysis.  Guesses can be way off.  That said, Equi  VM is your least expensive choice https://uckele.com/equi-vm-7lbs.html and has better levels of the manganese that *most* hay sold in your region need.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

If purchasing products from Uckele, use the code ECIR at checkout to receive a 5% discount.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Sandy

Thank you -  where does the Uckele ship from?  It says shipping is taking longer and I'm almost out of the Mad Barn which takes only one day to get to me which is nice.  If it comes from CA I'm afraid of it taking a long time.  I am also wondering the palatability of the powder supplement now that they are used to the pelleted Mad Barn.  Thank you for the coupon code Lavinia - every bit helps so much.
--
Sandy Kemp
Northeast Pennsylvania
Crystal Blue PPID/IR
Tiffany PPID
2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sandy%20and%20Tiffany
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sandy%20and%20Crystal%20Blue

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Michigan.

Laura H

Have you tried the Mad Barn Omneity? It's not formulated for metabolic types like the AminoTrace is but its a fantastic VM supplement and it's more economical.
--
Laura Heit - Ontario 2021

Sandy

Hi Laura,

I haven't tried that one because it had added iron so wasn't sure if I should .....
--
Sandy Kemp
Northeast Pennsylvania
Crystal Blue PPID/IR
Tiffany PPID
2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sandy%20and%20Tiffany
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sandy%20and%20Crystal%20Blue

Laura H

There isn't any added iron, there is just more that occurs naturally in the blend. The iron level is still quite low in my opinion compared to other VM supplements. Amino Trace has 20mg per serving which is impressive, Omneity has 108mg, but many of the other VM supplements that people swear by have 400+ mg. Vermont Blend says no added iron as well but there would still be some in it and they choose not to list it on their website which is kind of strange to me. I would want to email them to find out.
--
Laura Heit - Ontario 2021

Sandy

Thank you Laura - I will keep the Omneity in mind and may try it.  I was going to get the Equi-VM but mine don't like the powdered ones well.  They already have powdered CocaOmega, which they mostly eat but they wouldn't eat the sample of Vermont Blend and they don't like wet stuff if I try wetting it down.  They refuse beet pulp. Crazy trying to get these guys to eat what they need sometimes.  Trial and error!  My next choice is getting the CocaOmega in liquid form and trying the powdered Equi-VM and seeing if that works.  I hear horses love coconut oil but I'm guessing that isn't good for PPID/IR horses ......