Magnesium

Thurstonjs@...

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how much magnesium oxide to feed my IR/PPID horse. I purchased some from California Trace, it says 56,% on the front? Based on what she is currently being fed and her hay, she is getting .51%.

Thank you in advance.
--
Jackie Thurston
Suffolk, VA 2021

Lorna Cane

Hi Jackie,

I can't tell from your Case History how much magnesium you need to feed, but 56% means that 56% of the amount of the magnesium oxide product , is actual magnesium.This is fairly standard.
If you are feeding 30g by weight of the mag.ox. product,for example, only 56% of that 30g is magnesium, not the full 30g.
It will depend on how much magnesium is in the hay and other items being fed to determine how much magnesium you need to add.
I usually need to feed at least 10g of magnesium, for my situation.It may be different for you.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Thurstonjs@...

Thx, Lorna!

The hay I'm feeding has .21% magnesium, TC timothy Balance cubes has .30%. I also feed California Trace and TC Golden flax, neither of these has magnesium.

So for example, if I'm feeding 10 pounds of the hay, would that be 10x.21%? Same for the TC timothy Balance cubes?

I updated my case history the other evening and lost the entire document. I need to recreate it, fortunately I kept a pdf copy.
--

Jackie Thurston
Suffolk, VA 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jackie%20and%20Rose

Hi Jackie,
You’re on the right track with the magnesium.  Add up what is in your feed and subtract that from what your horse should have.  You supply the rest.  Keep track of whether the reports are for elemental magnesium or a salt such as magnesium oxide.  There are different magnesium salts and the magnesium is a different percentage of each.  MgOx is what we generally use to supplement.

Just a reminder to keep your word processing document for your case history safe and accessible.  Often, when people go to update their case history, they have no document to update as they deleted the original.  So the general drift is to fill out a CH form on your word processor and save it.  Make a pdf from that and post it.  To update, you open the saved word processing CH document and update it, save the new document, make a new pdf the update and post it.  Saving the pdf after posting it is not necessary.

You may well understand all this but many people don’t and I thought this might be a good chance to remind others.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Thurstonjs@...

Thank you, Martha! I researched how much magnesium she needs on a daily basis. Thank you about the different magnesiums! I need to look at what types she's getting. I did forget to factor in her salt, I thought of that last night. I do have the magnesium oxide to supplement.

Thank you again!
--
Jackie Thurston
Suffolk, VA 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jackie%20and%20Rose

Jackie, when you first add the table salt (NaCl) to your horse’s meal, she may be a bit put off.  You may need to add it gradually, increasing the amount over time.  I put the extra on top of the hay, sometimes adding water to help it stick if they hay isn’t wet from soaking.  I’ve never had the hay refused because of the salt but I have had some bucket food refused for that reason.
You won’t need to do that with the magnesium salt (MgOx) because it doesn’t have a ‘salty’ taste.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

Thurstonjs@...

Hi Martha, I have been using Dynamite NTM salt.

Here are the minerals:

--
Jackie Thurston
Suffolk, VA 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jackie%20and%20Rose

Thurstonjs@...

Nancy C

Hi Jackie

Have you tested your hay?  That will have a big impact on how much magnesium you need to balance the other minerals.

--
Nancy C in NH

Recordings of the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference released to attendees 09.03.21.
Veterinary Professional CE certification hours submitted to AAVSB Race 09.08.21

Sherry Morse

Hi Jackie,

All you need is table salt (NaCl).  This product has other ingredients in it besides salt and has added iron with is a concern particularly with an IR horse. https://dynamitespecialty.myvoffice.com/ShoppingCart/index.cfm?FuseAction=CategoryShop&CategoryID=91&ParentCategoryID=4 in case anybody else wants to look.

Thurstonjs@...

Hi Nancy, yes, the current hay has been tested and I will be taking that into account. Thank you for asking!
--
Jackie Thurston
Suffolk, VA 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jackie%20and%20Rose

Thurstonjs@...

Ugh!!! I did see the Iron last night and recall reading about that. Table salt, iodized?
--
Jackie Thurston
Suffolk, VA 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jackie%20and%20Rose

Sherry posted a link and I agree.  First, you don’t want added iron in anything.  We are trying to reduce iron intake.  Some of the other components might be useful if you needed them.  You won’t know until you have your hay tested.  Adding bits and pieces of various minerals along the way makes any sort of calculations more complicated.  Plus, it’s generally less expensive to add individual minerals, rather than premixed, especially when the mix isn’t what you really need.

I use Morton iodized salt, which I buy in bulk (50#j bags from All Bulk Foods.  It’s inexpensive to purchase but not to ship so if you can find it locally, that might be better.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

Lorna Cane

I buy the 50-pound bags of iodized salt from the local Bulk Barn.
Special order.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Daisy Shepherd

why iodized, i thought plain was best. thanks, daisy and tiko and whisper
Daisy, Tiko and Whisper
CO, April 2019
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daisy%20and%20Tiko
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90099&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Daisy, all equines require iodine. The exact amount needed depends. Iodized salt adds some iodine to the diet but not always enough. If your hay is balanced by a hay balancer, no doubt iodine is included. Some of us use products like Source or Uckele Ocean K to add iodine to the diet.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Thurstonjs@...

Trying to figure the amount of magnesium to feed Rose, hope I did this correctly. She is being fed hay that has .28% magnesium,  .30% in the TC Timothy Balance cubes. She gets approximate 10 pounds of hay and 1 pound of the cubes daily. That comes to 3.10%. According to her weight requirements,  she should get 6.34 grams of magnesium daily. The magnesium I bought is 56% magnesium,  15.8 g magnesium per ounce, 1 T. = 1/2 Oz. OK, here's where I didn't write how I came up with this amount. I figured she needs 3.24 g a day, some how came up with 5.78 g by weight. She would get .46 T per day.

I truly don't know how to calculate this but did my best. That said, am reluctant to start giving her this amount until math savvy folks chime in 🙂.

Thank you!
--
Jackie Thurston
Suffolk, VA 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jackie%20and%20Rose

Bobbie Day

Jackie you should sign up for Dr.K’s balancing courses, how do you know how much she needs? What I mean is how are you coming up with that amount?
That said like others I add 10g to all the diets I balance but you also need to take into account what her work load and her energy requirements.
I didn’t look but is your hay test results in your folder with all your pertinent information? Sorry if you’ve answered all this already and I missed it.

Bobbie and Desi (over the rainbow bridge 7/21)
Utah, Nov 2018
NRC Plus 2020 , NAT , C&IR March 2021

Jackie,

Requirements are both by weight and by what it takes to keep minerals in balance.

Not sure where you came up with that 3.10% number (? multiplied by pounds?) but that's not correct. % is a description, like color. If a jar of jelly beans are all purple, one of them is purple too. If a gallon of chocolate milk has 5% chocolate syrup, a glass of it has 5% chocolate syrup too. Your hay is 0.28% magnesium whether it's 5 lbs or 50 lbs.

You have to change pounds to kg, change kg to grams then multiply by percent as a decimal. She is getting 12.7 g from the hay and 1.4 g from the cubes.

Thurstonjs@...

Dr. Kellon, I really appreciate your time with this! I am trying to follow along here, so bear with me.

She weighs 700#'s. I found she needs 6.34 grams a day. The amount she is currently receiving that you figured correctly, is that elemental grams? Or is she already receiving enough?

And where can I find your course?

Kindest,