Magni - Cloud boots and hoof alignment

K Hanneson

I've been using Easyboot Clouds with Magni for a few weeks now and notice that he is consistently rotating the LF counter-clockwise in the boot.  If I put them on straight, after a short while the centre back is pointed about 1/2" medially.  I've posted a photo in my album:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/photo/266135/3302292?p=Created%2C%2C%2C20%2C2%2C0%2C0  The yellow sticker is the centre, the blue marking to the left is where the frog ends up.  I tried starting fresh with a new insert but the same thing happened.  This only happens on the left, the RF stays pretty straight.

I'm wondering if there is some way to stabilize the insert inside the boot or if I should just let it go where it wants to go.  I called the company and the person I spoke with suggested putting a sock on his LF to snug it up a bit (didn't work) or to wedge something between the insert and the sides of the boot to keep it in place.  I haven't tried this yet, I thought I'd check here first. Unless I can keep his foot centred in the boot, I'm also wondering if I should adjust the breakover bevel somehow.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated!  Thank you!

--
Kathy H in ON 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kathy%20and%20Magni

Hi, Kathy.
As you know, the best boot is the one that fits Magni. Definitely try the fixes suggested by Easycare. They know their stuff. I have a gaited horse who twists her Clouds just as soon as she starts moving around with enough comfort to move faster than a slow, careful walk. Nothing helped me keep those boots straight. She didn't like extra padding. I ended up with a pair of Easyboot Trails to get a closer fit. I made sure the trim was as tight as possible before measuring. They are easy on and off, can take a bit of padding, don't twist if well-fitted and work as a nice template after you get a good, compact trim in place. If the toes get too long, you'll have to rasp them back to get the Easyboot Trails on. Like the Clouds, you'll need to rasp the breakover in the sole of the boot.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Candice Piraino

HI Kathy!

Have you seen the new Sneakers from Easy Care? They might actually be a better fit, if you are still looking for a therapy boot. It has a better breakover than the Clouds, and seems more durable. Sometimes horses have more torque with their footfalls, and twist their boots. Fit is very important as Cass has stated above. It is best to fit your horse after a fresh trim. I just wanted to throw out another option for you to consider.
--

Candice Piraino

Primary Response Team

September 2018, Summerfield, FL

Shark's Case History

Shark's Photo Album

PHCP Barefoot Trimmer @www.arkhavenfarm.com

K Hanneson

Thanks Cass and Candice, for the suggestions.  I'll look into them!
--
Kathy H in ON 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kathy%20and%20Magni

Deb Walker

Kathy - I typically do not have this problem with the Clouds using either their insert or a Soft Ride insert. The Soft Ride boots however did twist continually, surface on one side) and cut it into halves. Wedge the sponge, soft side on the hoof, in either the sides of the boot, or at the toe if they are a bit too long. I placed the sponges where I wanted them before putting the boot on, but you can also try just pulling down the front of the boot and wedging it in to any space you see. The sponge wears down quickly, but it did help, and it was an inexpensive alternative.

Also, Soft Rides carry an insert that comes in narrow sizes, that feature an extra piece of material on each side, which also work best for Scotty.
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History: