Mare 2 1/2 months pregnant has foundered

Kim Leitch

My friend is going to join the group, but gave me permission to post to get a quick answer.
16 yo Quarter Horse, pregnant for the first time foundered a few days ago. Several vets and people have told her that she must abort the foal to save the mare, is this correct information or can the foal be saved, too?

She is starting her on the emergency diet today and getting her toes backed up. Styrofoam going on her feet today.
--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Dually: IR; Grits and Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Bella https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=64978

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Kim,

The answer really depends on why she developed laminitis. At 2.5 months she is early for the hormonal changes induced by pregnancy. If there is a problem with the uterus/placenta behind this, that is probably why they said she needs to abort the pregnancy.

Kim Leitch

Dr. Kellon,
There is no dx, except founder. I’m having her run a Cornell metabolic panel as soon as she can get a vet out. Are there tests the vet can run to tell if there is a uterus/placenta problem? Will an ultrasound show it?
If it is PPID related founder, will medication proper management save them? Can Pergolide be used in a pregnant mare?
--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Dually: IR; Grits and Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Bella https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=64978

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Yes, an ultrasound will show if the pregnancy is normal or not. If it's PPID related, you can treat with pergolide but it likely won't help until after December and has to be stopped at least a month before foaling unless you can get a nurse mare because it will stop lactation.

Kim Leitch

Thank you, Dr. Kellon, that is the information she needs.
--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Dually: IR; Grits and Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Bella https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=64978

Kim Leitch

My friend is trying to join the group, but isn’t getting an email. She has checked her spam folder, too.

She will be hauling her horse for an ultrasound in the morning. I know that will skew the ACTH results, but does it change insulin and glucose? Should she even bother with blood work after hauling? There is not a vet that will travel to her farm.

--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Dually: IR; Grits and Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Bella https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=64978

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Don't bother with blood work after hauling. You may be able to find a vet tech that will come and draw the blood then you can take it to your vet's office.

Lynn

"There is not a vet that will travel to her farm"

I don't know if this helps, but when I needed blood pulled recently to run another insulin test on Relevante, my vet was booked solid for several weeks. So he mailed what we needed to pull the blood and gave instructions. Then I overnighted the sample to him in an EquiSure cooled semen shipper. It arrived in fine shape and was still cool. The cost to overnight was cheaper than a vet call. He took care of sending the sample on to Cornell.  We did it on a day that Relevante was calm and relaxed with nothing else going on.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

Kim Leitch

My friend has tried to join this group with two different email addresses. Both say she has already joined, so she hits “forgot password “, it says an email has been sent, but she has not received an email on either address. She knows she belonged to some old yahoo groups years ago, could that be part of the problem?
Her email is qhgirl at mindspring dot com
Could someone please check on this for her?

Also, thank you Lynn, she is picking up the proper tube from her vet today and a neighbor will pull the blood.

It looks like my signature doesn’t show up since I replied from a digest.

Kim

--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Dually: IR; Grits and Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Bella https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=64978

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Has she checked her spam folder?

There is also an option to sign in with Google or FB when you hit Log In.

Hi Kim,

She joined as a member yesterday using QHgirl@mindspring.  She does still need to set up a signature and she signed up for Digest so until there's enough messages to make a digest she won't get any email from the group.  She should also check her spam/junk folder if she did not get the automatic welcome message from the group.

If she wants to read messages online she can go directly to the website at https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/topics

To send an email to the group (which will automatically be moderated as it's her first message) she can email main@ecir.groups.io

As far as your signature - it does come through as you have checked off both boxes for using your signature on email or on the web.

Kim Leitch

There was no heartbeat on the ultrasound; they are aborting the foal.

Sherry,
I don't know how she signed up, because when she logs in it asks fo a password. She clicks the forgot password link, a box comes up and says an email has been sent to get a new password. She never gets an email.
--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Dually: IR; Grits and Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Bella https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=64978

Cindy Giovanetti

Oh, I’m so sorry!

Cindy

_._,_._,_

--
Cindy, Oden, and Eeyore, North Texas
On ECIR protocol since 2/19

Lynn

I hate to hear that Kim. So sorry!
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

Oh Kim I'm so sorry about the loss of the foal.

I'm mystified about the email issue and my only thought is that she should check her trash folder as well as the Spam folder but I just looked and it looks like she signed up with a different email about an hour ago.