Topics

Mark ups on hoof radiographs request (Lavinia?) - hoof images added

Jenny Heishman

Hello again,

I have added hoof images to accompany the radiographs.....hooves have not been trimmed - same as those in radiographs, just two days apart.

Please let me know if there is a better way to organize all of the hoof images.
They are here in our album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=60437
There is a body image first, then all the hoof images, followed by the lateral view radiographs.

Thanks so much for your help with this!

Best,
Jenny

--
Jenny Heishman and Rico
Bainbridge Island, WA   June 2018

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Jenny,

Rico is quite the handsome boy.

Thanks for putting up the pix and rads. Nice job on getting the markers on the hooves for the rads too. The photo organization is fine so no worries there.

Your eye is good: toes need to come back on all four feet. Also going to need to work on getting his heels back under him as they've squished forward. Soles are thinner than optimum, so using padded boots when he's ridden is a good idea. Frogs on the hinds are looking fairly robust, fronts are definitely less developed. Nice work on getting the heel flaring under control.

I'll get mark-ups for you but it won't be until the weekend.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Jenny Heishman

Thank-you, Lavinia.
I'm so grateful to have your eye and expertise on this!
I will wait for your mark-ups before trimming.

Hoping for tips on how to bring back the toes when his hoof walls are pretty much the same width all around the sole....do I remove the entire hoof wall on the toe area?

On sole depth...this one really gets me....and totally explains his searching for softer footing whenever we are out, but how can I help him increase it?!  I have had him in front boots every time we head off the farm for a year and a half and his soles are still thin.  I'm thinking of buying the Flex Hoof Boots (out of Finland) with the pads - they sell EVA pads (firm) and Kevlar pads for all four hooves.  Will measure his hooves after I get the trim done based on your mark ups.

On heel height....same question as sole depth - any suggestions on tweaks I can make to support the heels to grow out straight underneath him?  I've read Pete Ramey's articles and I'm a little lost on the "rocker" added to the heel....if that's advised, any additional description on how to achieve it would be super helpful.

On back hooves, medio-lateral balance - did you notice in the sole plane 1 and 2 images that the inner hoof looks higher?  Is this visual a good judge of whether it's actually higher or not?  I have trimmed that inner side of the hoof (the hoof wall) down in the past to make it look like it matches the outer side, only to have him then wear down the outer side to the sole. (this could be remedied by boots after correcting trim?)

Getting frogs on fronts in better health?  I've been treating all with Pete's goo for thrush.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.
I look forward to your mark-ups when you have the time.
Best,
Jenny

--
Jenny Heishman and Rico
Bainbridge Island, WA   June 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jenny%20and%20Rico

Jenny Heishman

Hi Lavina,
I think I managed to file the toes back per the information on the radiographs.  I poured over many of your mark-ups for other people and used that information to trim Rico's toes.

If you do have any time to address my questions about the heels and the hind hoof medio-lateral balance, that would be greatly appreciated, but I don't think a full mark-up is needed and I'm sure you have a very full schedule, so please take that off your list!

thanks,
Jenny