Topics

Markups and Lavinia

hdavis

Hello,
I have been trying to connect with Lavinia as have paid for some markups and trim guidelines for Rio but have not been able to connect with her all this week.  Just checking in to see if anyone else has had this issue and if perhaps she is away?   Hoping things are ok with her.  Just a bit worried as odd I have not got a response.

Thanks!
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa Case History

 Photos

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8819&p=pcreated,,,20,2,0,0  .

Storm

Case History

photos

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Heather,

I've been on the road the last couple of days so am behind on reading email. Working to catch up on everything.I haven't forgotten about Rio.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

hdavis

Ok thanks!  Sorry I just got worried that maybe something was wrong!  I ended up taking down some wall and the toe back a bit as thought that might help her with some pain.  Seems to be helping so will await your trim recommendations!  Thanks!!!

I've been on the road the last couple of days so am behind on reading email. Working to catch up on everything.I haven't forgotten about Rio.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa Case History

 Photos

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8819&p=pcreated,,,20,2,0,0  .

Storm

Case History

photos

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Heather,

I've added mark-ups to Riosa's album:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8819&p=pcreated,,,20,2,0,0

Because we couldn't get copies of the radiographs that were clean of all the text and markings, I'll only reference them: they confirm that Rio's toes are way too long, soles are a tad thin. Overall, the goal needs to be getting all the toes backed way up so that the breakover is set where the bony column needs it to be. The heels are run under to some degree - hinds worse than fronts. The walls are tending to be too long, in that they are extending well beyond the sole plane. Frogs are somewhat atrophied on the fronts but much more robust on the hinds, which is common. I know she recently shed a fair amount of frog, which is not uncommon in the spring, esp. when it has been wet. But there also appears to be a fair amount of trimming of the frogs as well, as I can see nice, clean, shiny new frog where the calloused layer has been trimmed away. Need to be a lot less aggressive with the frogs - only trim pieces that are ragged or loose, while leaving the rest to callous off. Her frogs need to be in ground contact so they can become healthier and so they can assist with weight bearing and shock dissipation.

LF dorsal: Green lines follow the angle of the healthier new growth under the coronary band down to the ground. About 2/3 of the hoof capsule appears to be in alignment (yay!) so only the bottom 1/3 is left that is flared - in blue. Rasp that back into alignment with the growth from above  Easiest way to see this is to put the hoof on the hoof stand, then put your head close to the leg and look down at the hoof from above. You'll see where the wall angle changes.

LF lateral: Green line again follows the angle of the healthier new growth under the coronary band toward the ground.This line is also parallel to the angle of the pastern. Orange line is where the heels should be and is parallel to the green line and the pastern angle. Blue area is the excess toe length that needs to be removed.

LF lateral sole plane: Green line is the same as the one on the lateral view. Blue area at the toe is same as on the lateral view. The blue line following the perimeter of the hoof denotes the excess wall length that needs to be lowered along the entire foot, so that the walls end up level with the sole plane. Bevel them to finish.

LS sole: Blue hashed areas are what need to be backed up/brought in to remove the excess toe length and flared walls. They correspond to the blue areas on the other views. The yellow hashes along the leading edges of the bars are where  you can slightly clean them up but only to sole level, not deeper.

RF lateral: Same discussion as the LF.

RF lateral sole plane: Same as LF.

RF sole: Blue hashed area corresponds to the blue areas on the other views. Yellow is where the leading edges of the bars can be lightly cleaned up. Lime is where the heel buttresses are currently located. Along the orange lines, bevel/ramp the rest of the heel back toward the frog so that you can maintain the vertical height while helping the heels stand more upright.

LH dorsal: Green lines follow the healthier new growth angle toward the ground. Rasp the lower 1/3 of flared wall inward to match that angle.

LH lateral: Same as fronts.

LH lateral sole plane: Same discussion as the fronts but there appears to be much less excess wall length to manage.

LH sole: Follow the comments for the RF.  Orange squares are where the heel buttresses should be located but this is a goal over time as right now, there isn't enough height in the back half of the foot relative to the front half to actually move the heels back. Just add the ramping along the orange lines at this time.

RH lateral: Same as LH.

RH lateral sole plane: Same idea as LH.

RH sole: Idea is the same as the RH - work to back the toe while preserving the vertical height in the back half of the foot. The red lines are the edges of the heel buttresses. You can see they form a point, rather than blending in smoothly with the rest of the wall. When viewed from above, you can also see that point. Bring that area inward ( to the blue line) to match the curve of the rest of the wall, then pass the rasp across the bar in that area to create a new heel buttress.

Removing the excess toe length is the first priority. This can be done in one trim, or you can do half now, then the rest in a week. Use her boots and pads as needed to maintain comfort.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

hdavis

Oops,  the other message sent without my message.  Thanks Lavinia for the markups and info!