Topics

locked McGregor, 2 yo thoroughbred

Fernando Vine

Hi everyone, I purchased McGregor in a 2 yo auction here in Chile and unfortunately 2 weeks after he arrived to his new stable he suffered laminitis. One week in the racing track’s hospital and went back to his stable. 2 months now and he didnt recover, we sent him back now to the stud farm.

Dont know how to attached pics of the horse and rx to this message.

thanks for your support

Fernando, Santiago Chile, 2019

Fernando Vine

Hi, Fernando, and thanks so much for uploading the additional pictures and radiographs into the photo album.

Was there a significant disease event that may have caused this? I can see a big fold in the hoof capsule, as well as some areas in the radiographs that could suggest white-line disease. It is very unusual for a young, intact male Thoroughbred to suffer from laminitis unless there is some other cause: severe infection (either viral or bacterial); contact with a toxin, such as black walnut shavings or eating sweet alyssum; or Lyme disease.

He looked like a million bucks at the auction picture; in his most recent pictures he presents the classic horse that is losing weight due to pain and other issues, plus has bedsores from lying down a lot. Somewhere between purchase and the lamiitis event, something pretty significant happened. The trick is going to be finding out what caused this. This is not the more common endocrine laminitis that presents with horses with EMS or Cushings (PPID).

Dr. Kellon has a world of experience with race horses, so hopefully she will weigh in on this. Meanwhile, the more information we can get, the better, so if you can fill out the case history, that would be great.  You can't attach files or photos to these messages here (one of those weird Groups.io problems); but you can upload your case history to the Case History site in the Files. I will email you the form (one for PC, one for Mac). Don't forget to click on the "Allow edit" or equivalent at the top of the form.  Fill out as much as able, and don't fuss about the stuff you don't have information on. Then, here is how to upload it:

How to upload a case history

Go here to Case History files:   https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files

Click on the blue New Folder button . For folder name, type in your name and Horse's Name, and hit Add.

It will immediately disappear, but fear not! Go to the search box in the upper right, and type in your name and Horse's Name.  Your folder will appear (hopefully).

Click on it, then click on Upload File.

Click on Browse, and find your case history file on your phone or computer etc. Double click on it, or click open (whatever works for your device).  I *think* that is all you need to do. Once you have done that, copy the link to your folder, and put it into your automatic signature.

You might be able to find this information on the main page wiki, Case History Help:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/home#Case-History-Help    and also on the Case History site in the files section:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/1%20Case%20History%20Form%20and%20Instructions

Lorna has had some good ideas for dealing with bedsores (decubital ulcers) that result from the horse spending a lot of time lying down. Using burn cream, and then taping disposable diapers over the areas can often help, if your barn staff is okay with buying disposable diapers; you can keep them on with Elastoplast tape, common adhesive tape, or even duct tape. The padding of the diapers aids in healing the wounds.

Lorna, if you can chime in here, that would be fab!

The two most important things at the moment, I believe, are to determine what caused the laminitis and white line disease; and to support the feet with trim, boots and pads. We should also consider whether or not he has gastric ulceration secondary to use of pain killers, and because of the pain itself.  Here is the folder on ulcers;  https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/Ulcers

MacGregor is a stunning boy. I sure hope we and you can get to the bottom of this, and help him out.   Thanks again for posting.

--
Jaini
Merlin and Maggie (over the bridge), Gypsy, Ranger

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jaini%20and%20Merlin-Maggie-Gypsy .

Fernando Vine

Thanks a lot Jaini, I shared your information with the veterinary. Dont know if this could be triggered by something as the walnut shavings but if this is the case it was a good decision then to return it back to the stud farm. Maybe at the race track his bed still had something that was causing the reaction, really dont know.

--
Fernando, Santiago Chile, 2019

Lorna

Hi Fernando,

Glad to see you here.

I agree with Jaini about the use of diposable diapers for the 'bed' sores,duct taped on for security.
I also used to apply soft,fleece-lined shipping boots, over the diapers, to give the entire area on the leg protection.and they protect from any nibbling that McGregor might do.

Diapers are ok for the elbows,too,but trickier to keep on. I used duct tape right against the hair,and just kept playing with the method until I found one that wouldn't let go. Depending on the situation,I have also attached a strap,or piece of cloth from the diaper on one elbow,over the withers/neck to the other diapered elbow. It,too,is tricky, but really helpful if it works. I used to wait til the duct tape wore off itself before I removed it,rather than pull it against the skin.
A shoulder guard is also helpful to protect the shoulder area.It looks like McGregor's shoulders are being affected a bit.
For healing salve,the best I know of is raw honey. Grocery store , but raw as opposed to pasteurized.
Others will have suggestions,too.

Here is the link to your Photo Album:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=95974&p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

--

Lorna Cane
Ontario, Canada

I'm having trouble deciphering the radiographs. The date and time stamps don't make sense and while there are R and L markers the notations on the films all say RF. Are they prepurchase and current films, or current pre and post trim?

In any case, from the photos it looks like he wasn't trimmed for at least 2 months. It looks like you either have white line disease and laminar damage from that or the leverage effect from the long toes has torn the hoof wall away from the coffin bone.

I would also suggest additional views to check for pedal osteitis and coffin bone fracture

The only time I've seen laminitis in a 2 YO racehorse was after a large dose of triamcinolone. Also saw a 3 YO that looked like acute laminitis after a nerve block with snake venom.

Fernando Vine

Thanks a lot to all of you for your comments. Since I am not an expert, I am sharing all your comments with the vet.

Hope we can recover McGregor! He is so young.

On Sat, Oct 5, 2019 at 08:33 AM, Eleanor Kellon, VMD wrote:
[...]

They are current pre and post trim
--
Fernando, Santiago Chile, 2019

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

In that case there is no radiographic evidence of laminitis. I would get the additional radiographic views.

Fernando Vine

But if not laminitis then what? At least the current diagnosis is laminitis
--
Fernando, Santiago Chile, 2019

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

White line disease.

Here is an article on white line disease.  Figure 2 shows how this is a separation in the layers of the hoof wall, not between hoof wall and laminae:

https://www.spanishlake.com/newsletter/natural-angle-volume-16-issue-4

Fernando Vine

Thanks a lot! i am sharing with the vet, at least from the explanations it seems that this could be the real cause.
--
Fernando, Santiago Chile, 2019

Fernando Vine

What are the odds that McGregor recovers and can eventually run? What are the “positive” scenarios in terms of timings?

--
Fernando, Santiago Chile, 2019

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I would suggest you have him examined by a lameness expert from one of your veterinary schools.

Fernando Vine

Thks Eleonor, will do so.

--
Fernando, Santiago Chile, 2019

Fernando Vine

Today the vet has recommended euthanasia. Unfortunately, I am not an expert dont know what to do.

--
Fernando, Santiago Chile, 2019

Sherry Morse

Hi Fernando,

Lo siento! Did they say why they are recommending that instead of trying to treat him?

Fernando Vine

The vet says that he is suffering, not that much. And that she cant recover him.

i really dont know what to do.
--
Fernando, Santiago Chile, 2019

bokayarabians@...

Three years ago my vet suggested I put my 8 year old mare down as she couldn't do any more to help her. I refused to do it and began trying on my own to help the horse. I was riding her just 7 months after being told to put her down! Don't lose hope, he is young and can recover, if you follow the ECIR information. Hang in there. My mare is now 11 and doing really well, no more laminitis!
--
Kathie with Libby and Sweet P
Cobble Hill, BC, Canada