Metformin

Lesley Bludworth

Sophie's new blood work shows continued high insulin at 154 ulU/ml, at least its 100 units lower.
As far as walking and comfort she is worse than when we changed her feed and now will not even take a step for me.
I can lift each foot easily but she will not walk.
Today she was prescribed Metformin 13 pills at 1000 mg each pill 2 times a day.
How do most people deliver this amount?  Vet will draw blood again Wednesday.
She is eating only soaked TC timothy cubes.
How long can it take to have insulin back toward normal levels?
Lesley Bludworth
Phoenix, AZ
Sophie Case History 7/2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/SophieB%20Case%20History

Sherry Morse

Hi Lesley,

1- since we don't know what Sophie's current weight is just be advised that Metformin is dosed at 30mg/kg 2x a day.  If the dose isn't correct it won't work.

2 - read up on how to dose Metformin (most people syringe it with milk of magnesia) in the files here: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/4%20Insulin%20Resistance/Metformin

3 - we recommend retesting insulin 7 - 10 days after starting the medication.  Wednesday would be on the early side for rechecking to see if it's working.  You'd be better off waiting until the 8th to check on it.

4- is Sophie in boots?  Can you post pictures of her current trim?  Have any x-rays been taken?

Lesley Bludworth

Hi Sherry,

Sophie is about 1000 lbs so the 13000 mg x 2 a day is about right then.

The vet is going to be out of town after Wednesday, so would 15 days be okay to retest?

She was in glove boots with thick blue pads but the vet thought shoes with impression material and pads would be better since her soles are thin and its raining every other day, they were put on July 19th.  I will load the xrays taken on 6/26/22 and I have pics of her feet but not really good view from the sides.

Ranch hand said she was really lame on left front this AM but when I arrived she was holding her R front up but switching around on all her feet.  The left foot had a big mud wad up under the shoe/pad area, giving the sole full contact but the right did not and the bottom of the pad looked like it was sagging.  I stuffed shavings up into the space between the right shoe pad and the ground and then she  started lifting her left front leg.

So today I had the shoes pulled and she is in the glove boots again until the cloud boots arrive hopefully Monday.  Last time I was up she was walking a little bit, now not at all.

I will drive up tomorrow to dose her first dose of Metformin.  I can grind it and have it mixed with something but I suspect I will not be able to get it syringed by anyone on the ranch.

Sent from Mail for Windows

1- since we don't know what Sophie's current weight is just be advised that Metformin is dosed at 30mg/kg 2x a day.  If the dose isn't correct it won't work.

2 - read up on how to dose Metformin (most people syringe it with milk of magnesia) in the files here: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/4%20Insulin%20Resistance/Metformin

3 - we recommend retesting insulin 7 - 10 days after starting the medication.  Wednesday would be on the early side for rechecking to see if it's working.  You'd be better off waiting until the 8th to check on it.

4- is Sophie in boots?  Can you post pictures of her current trim?  Have any x-rays been taken?

Thanks,
Sherry and Scutch (and Scarlet over the bridge)
EC Primary Response
PA 2014
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sherry%20and%20Scutch_Scarlet

Lesley Bludworth
Phoenix, AZ
Sophie Case History 7/2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/SophieB%20Case%20History

Sherry Morse

Hi Lesley,

Personally I would go for the 15 days over less time so you have an accurate idea if it's helping or not.  As you know we're not advocates of shoeing laminitic horses and there are so many factors going on with Sophie it's hard to say what the issue is right now. However, nails going into a laminitic foot could definitely cause problems.

Lesley Bludworth

Thank you, yes, I'm not a fan of shoes. Won't do that ever again. $140 to put them on and bribed another farrier with $100 to "fit" her into his schedule to pull them!