Metformin 2 week progress - chewable compound?

Tracy

Started Salsa on metformin (first time my vet has ever prescribed it) on 9/12.
His insulin was 63.9 uIU/ml on 9/9.
On 9/26 insulin was at 36.7 uIU/ml.
YEA!
I think it's helping his foot pain more than anything.
He is getting increasingly more difficult to syringe this into him though.  I mix it with milk of magnesia and put it in a 60ml syringe.
I am thinking of asking my compounding pharmacist about this - actually I did via text and the gal said he asked if I might want a flavored chewable?

Anyone had luck with metformin compounded into a chewable?  Or just fewer tablets?

Tracy
--
Tracy and Salsa (1999 model year Paso Fino)
Middle TN USA, September 2019

Lesley Bludworth

Tracy,
I had to start giving Metformin by syringing but was able to start to mix it in with her soaked TC balance cubes and she eats it no
problem. Ground up in coffee grinder and mixed in with ground flax then in with 1 lb of the cubes that are soaked about 15 min.
I started with just 1 ground pill and worked up from there.
--
Lesley Bludworth
Phoenix, AZ

Maxine McArthur

Hi Tracy
I’m not sure about the chewable tablets, but we have found that a lower dose does not work and would be wasting your money as well as risking the insulin creeping higher again.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

Tracy

Sorry Maxine - I wasn't clear.
If the compounded flavored chewable metformin are not a good option - I am wondering if a compounding pharmacy can compound the same dose he is getting now into fewer pills?  Guess when I go to pick up my own compound I will ask him about the options.
Wondering if the chewable are stable and a good option.

Tracy

--
Tracy and Salsa (1999 model year Paso Fino)
Middle TN USA, September 2019
Case History  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tracy%20and%20Salsa
Photos https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=95827

Maxine McArthur

Ah, I see, sorry Tracy. A quick search of Messages doesn’t bring up anyone using the compounded version. If you do give it a try, might be a good idea to retest insulin after a week or so and monitor his footiness closely (which I’m sure you are doing!).

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response