Topics

Metformin and slow feeder help

Bendhorsetalk@...

I got back Story's bloodwork and x-rays. Her insulin is higher than ever (200). She is currently on mineral balancing, Vit E, Glycocemic EQ, Thyro L, Jiaogulan, & Flax. The vet suggested I try Metformin. How long do I use this or is it forever?   I'm also wondering if I should go back to nets/pillows. I have nets but it's hard to let them eat from the ground without them trashing the nets. I could try pillows? I am soaking about 50% of the time due to frozen hoses...

Her leptin, ACTH, and glucose were normal.  Palmer angle on her coffin bone decreased from 16 to 10.

Thanks for any help on the Metformin (I did read the doc's available on the site) and slow feeder ideas.
--
Shera Felde, Central Oregon, 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Story%20and%20Shera

Have you tried putting screw eyes into walls or fencing and using double ended snaps or quick links to secure the hay bags off the ground?

Metformin would be continued until and unless there is a significant change in the management like lower S/S diet or more exercise. For most horses it becomes less effective over time but some continue to be helped. There are also some that don't respond or don't respond enough. Peak effectiveness occurs within a week by available data so you can retest then to see if it's worth continuing.

Bendhorsetalk@...

Thank you. I have tied nets to fences but then worry about they're (neck) posture. Would that be preferable to ground (pillow?) feeders or is it all OK?
--
Shera Felde, Central Oregon, 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Story%20and%20Shera

Ronelle

Shera-  I hang nets vertically off of my horse's stall wall, clipped at the bottom and the top, with the lower clip inside a rubber feed tub and around 5-7 or so inches from the bottom of the tub.  I don't hang it real tight which allows my horse to shake the net a bit.  If the net is tied too tight and can't be shook, that's when my horse's neck and poll went out.  My horse gets monthly chiro checks and he's had no issues as long as he can shake the nets a bit.  I tried a Hay Pillow, but he figured out if he flipped it over, grabbed a mouth full of the back and then lift the pillow, he could shake the hay out.   Maybe that wouldn't have worked if I had a smaller hole net (it was 1.5 inch).  I've been using the current method for about a year now.   So far, so good.
--
Ronelle and Yoyo
2015 Bend, Or, US

Bendhorsetalk@...

Thank you, Ronelle!  I'm glad to know that the shaking helps prevent neck and poll stress. It often feels like we're one step behind their ingenuity and creativity:)