Topics

Mineral balancing

KrisA

I just got my hay analyses back and am looking for the spreadsheet that used to be in the files section for calculating the minerals.  I have the bulk minerals and have been mixing a custom mix based on previous hay analyses, but now that I have new hay analyses I'd like to rebalance.
Thank you, Kris
--
Kris Anderson
Williamstown, MA  2020

Nancy C

Hi Kris

These spread sheets were discontinued some time ago -- 2012, I think -- at Dr Kellon's request.

As she said here in 2017:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/210948

I've seen some heart-stopping errors come out of spread sheet use - errors that would be dangerous to implement. Some were from errors in input, some from poor understanding of what numbers to input, some from the sheet itself.  If you don't have the knowledge to recognize a likely error and know ahead of time what kind of values you can expect the sheet to generate you shouldn't be using one.  Personally, I NEVER use one.

Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 12-15, Harrisburg, PA

ferne fedeli

I do have an old spreadsheet that my mentor in balancing gave to me way back when.  Anyway, what I do is calculate everything by hand, then enter it into the spreadsheet and double check everything before I print it out.  I mainly do that so I have a printed copy of everything to put in my files and use to give the information to Horsetech to make up my mineral mix.
--

Ferne Fedeli  Magic & Jack   2007

No. California
Case History

kande04@...

Thanks for the info!  I probably still have the original spreadsheets on a hard drive somewhere, but I thought if they were readily available I'd just get new ones.  But if they aren't I can calculate the values by hand.  What's interesting about my new hay samples is that the iron values are much lower than the old ones were, so I need to re-calculate my copper and zinc.  I read somewhere that iron in (on) the hay can vary considerably depending on how much soil ends up in the hay when it's baled, so I'm guessing that we could be getting less soil contamination because we have different haying equipment than we did back when the old analyses were done?

I sent in two samples this year (first and second cut) and the mineral levels basically agree, as they did with my old samples.

Other interesting values were ESC and starch, which are actually lower in this year's second cut than in first cut, which is likely because we got first cut in early this year but then second cut was late, so much more mature than usual.  The ESC and starch were much higher in the old second cut (almost double) compared to the first cut that year.