Mineral supplement

Kimberly

I have recently been told by an Equine nutritionist that I should not be using the mineral supplement I am using to balance my hay because it has "inflammatory" ingredients, such as corn distiller grains and alfalfa meal.  I was advised to start using High Point grass mineral supplement.  Is anyone else familiar with this product and thoughts?   My understanding is that if I have had my hay analyzed and then balanced here, that would be sufficient for my IR horses.  Any input is appreciated.  The nutritionist was consulted at my vet's insistence due to not having insulin under control yet.  Blood draw being done on 11/15 with hay that is 10% protein, 6.4 % ESC and .4% starch, which is being soaked.  It is being soaked because insulin was 65.15 and Glucose 92 when unsoaked.
--
Kimberly joined 7.17.2018 Virginia
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kimberly%20and%20Mouse

Hi Kimberly,
I looked at Rhyn’s case history and it doesn’t appear that the hay you are feeding now Is soaked.  I guess the CH just needs an update.  You also seem to have him on pasture, muzzled, for a few hours in the morning.  Is the muzzle sealed so that he gets nothing?  You had him on metformin briefly and then quit but I didn’t see any notes about why it was discontinued.

What sort of supplement were you using?  It’s all about quantity - whether you’re feeding 1/4 cup or a pound.  The important part that is missing is that the mineral supplement needs to be adjusted to your hay analysis.  No off the shelf product is going to do the job, unless your hay is pretty much already perfectly balanced.  I’m not sure where you are in this project.  You refer to getting your hay balanced “here” but we don’t actually do the balancing - we refer you to others.  Has one of our approved balancers looked at your hay analysis and told you what needs to be added?  The balancer might tell you that a particular off the shelf product would work if you added x, y or z to it.   In fact this question about switching to HP might well be a good one to direct to the person who balanced it.
--

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Hi Kimberly,

You are getting bad advice. There is nothing inflammatory about alfalfa or corn distillers grains. Even if there was, it would have nothing to do with insulin levels. The basics for controlling insulin are the low ESC/starch and mineral balanced diet plus exercise - the more exercise the better. If the horse has PPID, that also  needs to be controlled for insulin to come down. If you are doing all you can do and insulin remains in the laminitis range you may need to consider medication.

Kimberly

Thanks Martha!  I may have updated Ryn's folder and deleted the wrong one.  I usually post under Mouse's file.  I have not updated each time I have switched hay but we are currently soaking the hay I cited above as their insulin #'s were the "best" of what I have tested unsoaked on this hay.  So I wanted it tested soaked to see if it makes a difference.  That test is Tuesday.  All of my hay has been balanced by Dr. Kellon, each time we have tried new hay.  Our mineral supplements have remained the same based on her recommendations with each hay we have had tested and balanced in the recommended amounts.  I know they are getting exactly what they need as per Dr. Kellon's instructions.  I have not fed anything since May unless Dr. Kellon has balanced it properly.  My issue is still why neither of my horses can eat "unsoaked" hay that should be "safe" for them to eat.  The place where I am in the project is to find something they can safely eat, unsoaked, preferably and that has not occurred.  Neither Mouse nor Ryn has been on any grass since May.  They are both on dry lot and Mouse is on stall rest with short daily walks in boots.  The question is not so much about the product but whether or not the things in the Uckele product I do use is what is causing their high insulin (as is the beet pulp since it is not nutrition dense) as I am being advised, hence the recommendation to switch to the HP product.  Out of curiosity, I agreed to do a HTMA analysis and I guess we shall see as that is my attempt to keep things harmonious.  As Dr. Kellon has responded, I think I have the answer I was looking to get advice about.  As always, many thanks for the response.
--
Kimberly joined 7.17.2018 Virginia
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kimberly%20and%20Mouse

Kimberly

Thanks Dr. Kellon, I appreciate it and just wanted to confirm that I had missed something significant in their diets.