Topics

Mixing medicine with unsweetened apple sauce

Anat Shalev

i hope it is ok to ask for another advice regarding ways that are possible to give the medication
I was hoping it is ok to divide  and mix the medication - metformin - into 3 servings (morning noon and evening instead of twice a day).
Administrating it while in powder form mixed with handful of feed (stabul nuggets crumbs and Cavalor fiber force) + 3 tablespoons of unsweetened apple sauce?.

i have tried squirting the meds in a syringe last night (this is a lot of powder) so I went for dr Kellon’s advice of give the majority of medicine in a syringe (with some yogurt) then hoped Pipo will eat the rest with his feed but after this experience he refused any feed.

as it seems I should be looking for a efficient long term solution to get him to eat the medication + salt, minerals giagulan etc... I was hoping to look into more options - would love your advice to make sure this is not contra indicative

It seems he will consume the meds in feed if this is smaller quantities (hence the question about 3 times a day)
and today when I added the apple sauce I could make sure he licks the bin clean of any traces of powder.

Thank you 🙏 again
anat
--
Anat Shalev,
May 2015, Pardes Hanna, Israel

Yet, you can divide the dose.  Use as little applesauce as possible.

www.drkellon.com  Tis The Season 2 for 1 Sale
EC Owner 2001

Anat Shalev

nikkibob1994@...

1 cup of apples sauce is the equivalent of roughly 3 medium size apples.
--
Nikkibob
Wisconsin, Sept 2018

Yes, and 3 tablespoons is the equivalent of about half of a medium apple = 5.2 g of sugar while a pound of 4% sugar hay cubes would yield 18.1 g of sugar. That small amount of applesauce mixed into a meal is not likely to be significant.

www.drkellon.com  Tis The Season 2 for 1 Sale

That 3 tablespoons of applesauce is also about the same sugar content as an adult replenishment dose of Farrier's Formula, but the FF would also have 2 g of starch while a ripe apple has virtually none.