More Metformin Questions - talked with compounding pharmacist

Tracy

Salsa has been on metformin tablets for almost three weeks now and is getting increasingly harder to syringe them into.
The metformin IS helping him with his sore feet and lab tests show insulin dropped into the 30s now on it (his best EVER).
Due to a mouth injury as a yearling - Salsa is always "less than pleasant" to syringe meds/dewormer into.
He'd been sort of ok about the metformin in milk of magnesia until Monday (2 week mark) and then he just quit having it.
He won't eat the metformin 'whole' in feed - been there, done that.
Hubby went out with me and was like "you have to figure something else out before you get hurt" trying to syringe it in - and he's right - this is getting to a level that has to stop.

Two times now I have ground the human tablets up and put them in some wet feed.  He does it eat this way no problem - but I worry about irritation to his mouth/throat.  I do make sure he has hay after this to eat.

Talked with my compounding pharmacist (who talked to his compounding buddy that does more animal meds) and he is getting an apple flavor powder and is going to give me some as a sample to see if Salsa will eat that.
He said the flavored powder has a ph adjustment in it that should prevent any irritation and he even said if I don't mind grinding the human tablets up - he can sell me the flavored powder and I can mix it in with the ground up tablets and put that in Salsa's feed.  He should have the powder on Tuesday.
If he compounds the metformin into this powder for me - will be about $70 a month vs current $15 or so for the human tablets.

Questions - is the current ground up metformin tablets in some wet feed something I really need to stop asap?  Can I get away with this for a few more days to get the powder and hope he likes the taste?  Maybe I can TRY to syringe in some plain milk of magnesia after he eats the ground tablets in his feed (where I'm not so concerned with getting every drop into him like when I mix it with the metformin)?

What about the pharmacist selling me the ph balanced powder (if prince picky-pants will eat it) and I just add it to the metformin tablets that I grind up?

I can't get hurt getting metformin into Salsa.  Not an option.
--
Tracy and Salsa (1999 model year Paso Fino)
Middle TN USA, September 2019

Lesley Bludworth

Tracy,
It i not an issue to feed ground metformin in wet feed.
Your fine without the buffer in food, its not concentrated anymore and should not cause irritation.
Mine will eat 13 ground pills in 1 lb soaked cubes, less than that amout of cubes and she walks away but not mouth irritation at all.
--
Lesley Bludworth
Phoenix, AZ   7/2022

Since he is eating it readily in a wet meal, stop right there.  No need for flavorings or anything else.  Keep feeding it that way.

Patricia Evans

Hi Tracy,

My mini mare is a very picky eater too and did about the same thing your horse is doing. She went totally off her feed when I was syringing it in, so I had to stop for awhile. I started grinding it and putting it in her wet bucket meal, starting with a very small amount and increasing it every three or four days, like I had to do to get her to eat her supps. I've been doing this for a few years now and have had no more issues with her eating her entire meal and no ulcers in her mouth. I only have to give her four tabs twice a day, so I don't know if that will work for you since you have a much larger dose to give, but it may be worth a try. I just had to go very slow, and space the next increase farther if she showed any hesitance to eating that meal. I don't use any flavoring of any kind. Good luck to you, these guys can be frustrating!
--

Patricia

North central Florida

July 7 2018