Mule with PPID

Marlene Quiring

I have a mule with IR who is doing quite well now, but recently another mule of ours was diagnosed with PPID. The vet prescribed Prasend at 1 gm a day....he did not do wel on thatl, so the Vet said to try 1/2 pill. He went down and was not able to get up. He's a big 16 hd, 1,400 lb mule, 23 years old. He would try and rise but his back end wouldn't work for him. The vet tried to help us get him up but he just couldn't make it. The vet wanted to give him bute and leave him lay there to see what happened. When all seemed lost, Moon the mule made a gigantic effort on his own and stood up and has been up ever since! Vet advised to take him off Prasend, but now what? He is moving around, wants to eat but his neck is stiff and unable to lower to the ground so we make sure his feed is up and he has tall grass he can reach. I read here that Cabergoline might be a possibility to try? Is it even available in Canada? Any help appreciated. He isn't ready to give up or we would have had him put down. Very sorry if I already sent an email like this. I am having difficulty figuring this all out again as I am a member here as I joined when my other mule tested positive for IR....AND I MUST UPDATE HER CASE HISTORY! thanks!!
--
Marlene Quiring from Central Alberta, joined 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marlene%20and%20Shadow

Hi Marlene,

Did your vet run any bloodwork on Moon?  The introduction of Prascend does not usually cause issues like not being able to use their hind end.  We do, as you know, recommend titrating the dose up over a number of days to avoid the veil effect.

As always, having a case history with all information on feeding, etc. would be helpful.

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Hi Marlene,

It's unusual, but ataxia and movement disorders have been reported with pergolide in humans. What concerns me though is the stiff neck. That should be investigated with physical exam, neurological exam and radiographs to rule out a fracture. The long acting cabergoline injection is only available in the US. If you try pergolide again, put him on APF first and start with 1/4 pill.

How long did it take him to get up after his last dose?

Marlene Quiring

Thanks for responding. Yes my local vet did send in blood work for ACTH and it came back at 93.6...which i assume is very high? We did cut his pills in 1/2 so it would have been a .5 mg dose he was on when he collapsed....should we try again with him on even less.  He might have gone down on his own but just was unable to get back up as he was in very soft ground. Hard to know at this point, but I swear he does not want to even try and lay down now. Speaking with a few local vets, they talked about probably having to put him down...but he is not ready for that and seems to want to live!
I have been struggling with trying to do a Case History on him. I did one probably more than a year ago on my mule Shadow....and I found it again, but can't even figure out how to update it. I sure have forgotten how to navigate around here!

Regards,
Marlene Quiring

Cell - 403 783-1723
Home - 403 783-5210
Box 29, Site 5, RR 2, Ponoka, AB. T4J 1R2

--
Marlene Quiring from Central Alberta, joined 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marlene%20and%20Shadow

Marlene Quiring

Thank you for responding....I feel so bad for this gentle giant of a mule, great saddle mule too. Getting much help from the local vets here is dismal but I have a great contact that does chiro/plus so maybe that is something to try? She has helped me so much in the past. I do know Moone must have fallen once before the big fall when he couldn't get up as on the full pill he had skinned up knees and pasterns one morning. And even before that I noticed him stretching his front legs out to reach the ground? Wierd. He does seem rather disorientated at times and wanders around and if he sees me he comes right for me as I make sure he has feed he can reach. He is on a low sugar hay and whatever tall grass he can reach and I have been feeding a low sugar mush of timothy pellets in the evenings with vit E, chromium and probiotic added.

After his last dose of Pergolide which I was giving in the evening, he fell or got down the next afternoon and was down for about 3 hrs before being able to get back up. I have not seen him even try to lay down since. He was only diagnosed at the end of August so was only on the med. for maybe 2 weeks. His symptoms were very reduced topline and general slow movement along with his reduced ability to lower his head which I think happened just before....MY memory of the timeline of all this is a bit bad!!

I'm sorry, I don't know what APF is and google isn't helping?

Regards,
Marlene Quiring

Cell - 403 783-1723
Home - 403 783-5210
Box 29, Site 5, RR 2, Ponoka, AB. T4J 1R2

--
Marlene Quiring from Central Alberta, joined 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marlene%20and%20Shadow

A reading of 93.6  is in the highly suspicious zone for a 23 year old at this time of year.

Not wanting to lie down after that experience is understandable but it's not a long term solution!

Marlene,

If that ACTH was taken end of August I would call it positive.

He may very well have Cushing's but if there is a chance the neck issues came before or even at the same time as the pergolide that really needs to be investigated as a separate problem.

Skinned knees and pasterns is commonly seen in animals that are sleep deprived from refusing to go down to sleep and then fall asleep standing and buckle forward. If he has a neurological issue from a neck injury or something else he would be reluctant to lie down.

Maybe your vets could consult the nearest vet school about taking neck radiographs and send to them for reading.