Topics

Need a game plan- starting Uckele products

Carrie Palmer

This is the first winter I've owned this pony and I THINK we are experiencing winter laminitis pain based upon what I've been reading. We were doing pretty good over the summer and in the healing process then it just went to crap and nothing changed...except the weather. We have 75 degree days with 40 nights and then the next day it could be high of 40's with rain and temp drops to 30's... this is where it all began. Now we are doing OK (still painful) with our 70 degree days and 40 degree nights. HOWEVER... we are at a standstill for pain.

I've ordered what I could afford based upon what the representative from Uckele suggested which was the Phyto-Quench and Acetyl-L Carnitine for our issue. I've been doing a crazy amount of reading suggesting LaminOx, Glycocemic EQ, and Jiaogulan may also be needed but LORDY I can't afford all this. Can someone get me pointed in the right direction with dosing for both products I've purchased, please?  She is on previcox and I'm reading I should gradually stop these prior using PQ pellets? She's been on pergolide for 2 months and we are currently doing 0.75mg but perhaps I shall continue to increase to 1mg? I also bought her a used pair of Cloud boots and pads we will be using mext week but for now I have foam taped to her feet and she is much happier. My other HUGE issue is finding a QUALIFIED farrier within 100 miles of me. I've seen a few farriers here and there but they say I've been doing a great job and I don't much of anywhere.

I understand I need to get the insulin and ACTH levels normal before much healing begins (pain feeds inflammation, etc.- sadly I get this as a diabetic myself) and our diet is pretty tight now (and boring) but I feel like I'm fighting a forest fire with a Dixie cup! ESPECIALLY when I have farriers telling me what I've done is great (to give it time, use boots and slowly gently file) however when YOU GUYS and other laminitis experts look at her feet state more farrier work needs to be done. URGH

SUGGESTIONS?  DOSE?  FARRIERS?
--
Carrie Palmer
Mason, TX

D - Diagnosis. Let things settle a bit from the seasonal rise and retest he r in February or March.

D - Diet and Drugs. I'm sure she doesn't think the diet is boring so just hold your ground! Previcox is working against you with cold induced  pain. Get her off that. You can start ALCar (5 grams/day) and PQ (1/2 scoop twice a day until off Previcox for 3 days, then try 1/2 scoop once a day). After she's off Previcox, add Jiaogulan 1/2 tsp twice a day. Increase if her gum and tongue color doesn't pink up. Once the PQ is gone, try keeping her on just Jiaogulan and ALCar.

T - Trim.  YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Take a long look at Alley's feet https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=78421 . You need to get rid of the "nose" obvious on her feet on the lateral view. To start, put a strong bevel on the feet starting at the junction of the sole and white line. Nothing touching the ground in front of that. Do not file the sole surface in the front 2/3 of her feet. Take a swipe of the rasp off the heels and bars behind that point every other day or so.

www.drkellon.com  Tis The Season 2 for 1 Sale
EC Owner 2001

LJ Friedman

--are u wrapping the legs at nite for warmth?  Fleeced lined shipping boots work well with cloud bootscc
LJ Friedman  Nov 2014  San Diego, CA

Jesse's Case History
Jesse's Photos

Carrie Palmer

So once the PQ is used up do you suggest using any other supplement besides California Trace plus, Vit E and ground flax? Glycocemic EQ or LaminOx?

Will the Jiaogulan and ALCar be something we need to do forever to manage along with pergolide?

I will give her tiny trim a go when the Cloud boots arrive. Thank you for explaining...
--
Carrie Palmer
Mason, TX

Don't forget salt.

Glycocemic EQ is a trace mineral, magnesium and phosphorus supplement plus Jiaogulan, key B vitamins and ALCar/lipoic acid combination for neuropathic pain. You would not use both CA Trace and Glycocemic EQ. Which one is best depends on both the hay analysis and whether or not you have hoof pain. LaminOX adds further nitric oxide support and antioxidants to Jiaogulan. Whether LaminOX suits your situation better than just Jiaogulan and ALCar will be a matter of experimentation.

As for using J and ALCar long term, that's really something you will determine by trial after you get her comfortable.

Get some warm socks for her to wear inside her boots for more warmth.

www.drkellon.com  Tis The Season 2 for 1 Sale
EC Owner 2001

Carrie Palmer

I forgot to mention we were using MgOxide as recommended in your emergency diet... shall I continue to use this along with Phyto-Quench and ALCar? We will be adding the Jiaogulan soon after I order it today. This was day one of starting her new supplements. She was not impressed with the ALCar smell... it does have a nose burning vinegar smell so I half the full dose of 5 grams into two servings. Is that OK or will it not work unless its a full dose? I just didn't want her to snub her nose at it and wanted to her to eat.
--
Carrie Palmer
Mason, TX

You can continue using the magnesium but it really shouldn't be used blindly (no hay analysis) long term.

www.drkellon.com  Tis The Season 2 for 1 Sale
EC Owner 2001

Carrie Palmer

OK- thank you. Is it ok to split up the ALCar dose? She is NOT eating this stuff well at all... SIGH. We have a possible supplement to help her and she won't eat it. PERFECT. I guess this evening I will only feed the Phyto-Quench to make sure its not that, too. I CAN'T WIN I SWEAR...
--
Carrie Palmer
Mason, TX

Yes, you can split it.

www.drkellon.com  Tis The Season 2 for 1 Sale
EC Owner 2001

Paula Hancock

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 04:38 AM, Carrie Palmer wrote:
I CAN'T WIN I SWEAR...
Hi Carrie,
You are making progress!  Don't let the bumps in the road blind you to the progress you are making.  It can be like a chess game with these guys, but assume you will win.  You just may have to flexible about how you get there.
Keep up the good work!

--
Paula with Cory (IR & PPID?and Onyx (IR/PPID)

  and Remy (?)

Bucks County, PA, USA

ECIR Primary Response

NRCplus 2011  ECIR 2014

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Paula%20and%20Cory

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Paula%20and%20Onyx

Hi, Carrie - as Paula says, you ARE making progress! Don't forget: horses are like Tiggers (Tiggers LOVE honey! YUCK! Tiggers DON'T LIKE honey!)

   As well, horses are much like toddlers, who need to see/taste/smell a new food item 8 or 10 times before accepting it.  The vinegar smell may not be as off-putting as you (and I) think: it may just be that it is new.

Here is a message from Michele, about thinking outside the box for picky eaters:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/221717   The whole thread is very educational!

As well, texture and moisture seem to make a difference. Maggie will eat everything if it is mixed into a fairly dry mix, with no sloppiness. Gypsy prefers wet and sloppy. Ranger (who, of course, doesn't need anything special besides the basic mineral mix) will eat anything that stays in his tub longer than a nano-second.
--
Jaini Clougher (BSc, BVSc)
Merlin (over the bridge), Maggie, Gypsy, Ranger

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jaini%20and%20Merlin-Maggie-Gypsy .
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=34193.

Cindy Q

Hi Carrie

Don't forget you can get a 5% discount for certain Uckele products if you quote/enter ECIR as a promo code. https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/222614?p=,,,20,0,0,0::Created,,eleanor+discount+uckele+ecir+5%25,20,2,0,22006051

Also Jaini's Tiggers reference always cracks me up. Methinks cats are like tiggers too.
--
Cindy - Sep 2017, Singapore

Kathy Thomas

Donna was very picky as well. I discovered (through this group) that Walden’s Syrup can be used to create a pleasant taste. I use a dash of syrup, Then I dilute it with sufficient water to moisten cubes Donna loves the strawberry or maple flavours.

--
Kathy 2017 and Donna

Harrowsmith, Ontario

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kathy%20and%20Donna