Topics

Need advice for balancing minerals to hay analysis and water test

Tucker

I have the hay analysis in my file but since we know we have hard water we got it tested too. It showed we have no iron in the water but 13 grains per gallon of Calcium in our water which is considered high as far as hard water is concerned. My husband wants to have a water softener installed and that would take out the Calcium but add 26 mg or higher of sodium per 8oz. of water. We will have the barn water bypass the softener which sounds better to me since the hay had a deficit of about 15 grams.of Calcium. One thing the tester told us is that this area usually has high manganese which the water isn't tested for. Dr. Kellon recommended that I give beet pulp  to Indigo and change from the Glycemic EQ to Equi VM...Does that still apply? Would this be considered a balanced diet? Currently Indigo gets Timothy Balance Cubes as a carrier for her supplements of Ground flax seed, Amino Trace, Stabul 1, Glycemic EQ, 4 caps vit. E and iodized table salt besides her hay and some beet pulp. Thanks so much Dr. Kellon for your advice on this important issue!
--
Tucker and Indigo
NC, Nov 2018

Tucker

I just need to know if the calcium in the water affects her balanced diet with the change to Equi VM from Glycemic EQ, or does the added calcium in the water balance the lack of it in the hay? Thank you!

Tucker and Indigo
NC, Nov 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tucker%20and%20Indigo

Do you know how much she drinks?

Tucker

Not the exact amount and I have 2 ponies and a donkey together and they all drink from 3 buckets that I can keep clean and filled. I check them 4 times a day and usually at least one is empty and the others partially. It's been very hot here and they have been drinking more than normal. Sorry, I wish I could help more with an exact amount. I do appreciate your help in getting the best balanced diet for Indigo and the others, they get the same food as Indigo. My question is should I make the switch to Equi VM from the Glycemic EQ knowing that the water we have is high in calcium? Thanks for your help!

--
Tucker and Indigo
NC, Nov 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tucker%20and%20Indigo

Tucker

Hi Dr. Kellon,
I kept track of the amount of water Indigo, another pony and donkey drink in a 24 hour period...18 1/2 gallons of water. Indigo weighs 750 pounds, a smaller pony weighs 600 and the miniature donkey weighs 250 if that helps. We have just moved and they share a large dry lot with run-in so really no option of separating them until barn is remodeled.  The Calcium level in the water is 13 grains per gallon and the hay showed a deficit of 15 compared to the phosphorus.  You suggested I add beet pulp (for the added calcium?)  but how much should I give her? Does the extra calcium in the water balance the deficit in the hay? Should I still switch from Glycemic EQ to Equi VM?
Thanks so much! So happy for this opportunity to get a balanced diet happening for Indigo and her companions.

--
Tucker and Indigo
NC, Nov 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tucker%20and%20Indigo

Nancy C

Hi Tucker

In case you missed it in a message to another member today, Dr Kellon has been without internet for three days and is attempting to get caught up.  It may take a minute or two, or three, given her crazy inbox.

Glad you got water consumption.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 12-15, Harrisburg, PA

Tucker

I missed that, so thank you Nancy... I'll stay tuned!