Topics

Need flavoring to entice hay consumption

Pam Martin

After having Dr. Kellon balance my hay and put my horse on a weight gain program (which includes Stabul1, CocoOmega granules and Cocosoya Oil which includes fenugreek flavoring) my horse no longer wants much hay and is holding out for the much tastier Stabul1 given AM and PM.  He is very selective about his hay and is totally taste driven.  I thought this would most likely happen.  Would I be able to sprinkle his hay with a little fenugreek powder to encourage him to eat his hay or would he be getting too much fenugreek?  CJ is IR with PPID.  Thank you.
--
Pam and CJ
May 2008, Alliance, OH

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Pam%20and%20CJ%20-%20Rose/CJ/CJ%20Case%20History.pdf

I'd just spray or drizzle on some CocoSoya.

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale
EC Owner 2001

Hi Pam,

Here’s a Picky Eater’s Guide  which might give you some guidance.  It’s directed more toward horses rejecting their supplements but I see some applicable considerations.  Your horse has dental issues which apparently don’t cause him to quid or drop hay but there may be other things going on in his mouth such as ulcers or other gum issues which make hay chewing unpleasant.  My horse, Logo, had EOTRH syndrome, overlooked by a number of vets until it was quite advanced.

You can search the files for fenugreek, which is where I found the file above.  You could probably safely add some fenugreek to the hay to see if that helps but I might try sprinkling some of the feed he seems to like on top.  Also, you could sprinkle salt on top.  Although you provide him with a salt block, he probably need more than he takes advantage of.  If he has mouth ulcers, that may be counterproductive but otherwise it might enhance the hay flavor.

Horses with less than well controlled PPID frequently have trouble gaining weight.  You can throw all sorts of feed and fats in front of them yet they refuse to gain.  I see you plan more ACTH testing, which is good.  If you are doing dental work at the same time, be sure to draw the blood for testing before the dental work, which might affect the results.

--

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Pam Martin

Thank you Martha for the suggestions.  He does have two questionable teeth that the vet is watching, but that said, just a few days ago I watched him crunching some moderately course timothy hay with no problem at all.  He has been doing this for years with hay, and yes he had me trained, because he will go days with eating "just enough" to not be hungry.  So I would try a different hay until I found one he would eat.  Then for no reason, he would stop eating that.  He likes timothy hay and was eating fairly well until he started the Stabl1 which tastes much better, so the cycle begins.  He is my only horse and has no competition when eating.  I did not have this problem when his mother was alive because she would clean up.  The other mouth issues are possibilities, but with his history, I am inclined to think its more of the same.  I will try Dr. Kellon's suggestion to spray with CocoSoya and see how that goes.  I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.