need help and advice

Pennington-Boggio's <pennbo@...>

Help! When I got home late from work tonight I discovered that my
Cushings mare Star had found her way into the breezeway of the barn
where all the hay is stored. She also tore open an old bag of Kruse
Horse Feed (alfalfa and grass pellets with supplements) that was waiting
to go to the dump because it had gotten wet. I can't tell how much she
ate of anything although it doesn't look like she ate too many of the
pellets. The hay? It's anybody's guess. She is bright eyed and has a
good attitude but her stomach is gurgling something awful and she might
have a temperature. I gave her a bit of her Strategy with her pergo in
it, extra corn oil, and some probiotics but I am looking for any
suggetions to help move this through faster. I am scared to death this
will bring on a colic, or worse, founder.
Please send any suggestions you might have. I am not sure what else to
do.
Thanks,
Chris in CA

luktannr@...

I would say to call your vet if you haven't already - there are
things they can do to help prevent further complications and
they'll tell you what to look for if things are going to go bad!---
In
EquineCushings@..., "Pennington-Boggio's" <pennbo@b...>
wrote:
[...]

rich goldy <rmgoldy@...>

Have you contacted your vet? I would start there. Then go to the groups
links section. Log into the "treating founder w/out horses shoes" site.
Contact Gretchen A.S.A.P.
Get her walking around, movement will really help move this stuff
through more quickly.
Hope everything turns out o.k. Keep us posted. You and Star are in my
prayers.
Mary G.

Pennington-Boggio's wrote:

[eGroups] My Groups | EquineCushings Main Page | Start a
new group!

[...]

Equine Cushings email addresses:

Post message: EquineCushings@...

Subscribe: EquineCushings-subscribe@...

Shortcut URL to this page:

http://www.onelist.com/community/EquineCushings

belindavet@...

Dear Chris and others,
As a vet with many patients now being treated for pituitary adenomas ans
related signs, I'd like to answer your concerns. It is never good for any
horse to overeat on starches, or make radical diet changes. Most horses can
eat hay free choice and never have a problem (unless they get too fat, but
we are not talking about that kind of thing with a single episode). The
exception is a real high protein alfalfa or a hay with preservatives, that
when first eaten in large quantities, seems to cause mostly gassy or
irritable-bowel type colics, which usually respond well just to a little
mineral oil and pain medicine like Banamine.

Starches are a whole other matter. Rapidly fermented starches produce lactic
acid (which can cause colic and laminitis) and can also cause overgrowths of
gas-producing bacteria and bacteria which cause colitis(which can also lead
to laminitis). Horses that definitely or possible have eaten large
quantities(two times their regular portion or more) of a graim type feed
should probably be given a gallon of mineral oil preventatively. It speeds
up passage and slows fermentation, and will usually prevent both colic and
laminitis. Alfalfa or grass pellets are also unlikely to do this. Molds are
unpredictable. When in doubt, oil the horse! If it has been 24 hours and
nothing bad has happened, you are probably out of the woods.

As an aside, when one of my "cushinoid" patients founders, we can never
relate it to diet or exercise changes, it seems. They just do it. And that
is a key to finding younger horses with the problem. Any horse that founders
for no good reason should be tested. We have seen one horse age 7 with all
the classic test results.

Belinda S. Thompson DVM
Pine City Veterinary Clinic
Pine City, NY
belindavet@...

Lynne Brinkley <rhune@...>

Hi Chris,

As for the colic, the gurgling is a good thing as long as her stomach is
making noise on both sides. Means everything is working well. Founder is
another problem and if the feed was moldy that will not help.

The extra hay is not as bad as the grain, but with a Cushing horse, I have
found that it can make matters worse. Best bet is to watch her closely and
feel down just above the ankle on all her feet in the depression between the
bones. If you feel a throbbing pulse, the mare is foundering. Been through
this twice in the past month myself.

Once you have made certain she is fine, read her the riot act and ground her
butt for at least a week. Helps with the stallions here. Good luck.

Lynne