Topics

New Cryto Areo Supplement, thoughts???

NinaJW

What does anyone think of this sup for PPID?
  • Includes chasteberry for pituitary support and kelp for a healthy thyroid
  • Also includes omega 3s from chia seeds and antioxidants from turmeric and spirulina
Crypto Aero Metabolism contains carefully chosen ingredients that may help promote a healthy metabolic system, making it a smart choice for easy keepers. Chia seeds provide a hearty serving of omega 3s while turmeric supplies curcumin, both known to help support a normal response to inflammation. Organic kelp is a natural source of iodine as well as helping to maintain a healthy thyroid gland, while chasteberry helps support a balanced endocrine system. Circulatory health is addressed with yarrow, thought to help maintain normal blood flow. Another key component is spirulina, valued for its nutritional value by providing a full complement of essential amino acids as well as vitamins, minerals, EPA and DHA, and more. Research also demonstrated that the antioxidants in spirulina may help support immune and overall health. Last but not least, stevia, a naturally occurring, zero-calorie sweetener, is included to tempt your horse’s taste buds without any added sugar. Plus, you can feel great knowing that it has no additives and is free from soy, corn, wheat, molasses, artificial flavors, preservatives, as well as synthetic vitamins, minerals, and iron fortification. Additionally, all ingredients are grown from non-GMO seeds.
Nina and Jadon
Kentucky 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nina%20and%20Jadon

Hi Nina,

You can do a search of the archives for all the information on the group's experience with Crypto Aero.  The very short answer is save your money for Prascend or Pergolide and mineral balancing your hay.

NinaJW

Sherry, I did know about the feed being off limits but this is a new supplement for metabolic horses. I was hoping as it’s not a feed, maybe it had ingredients that were good for what I’m trying to do for Jadon?
--
Nina and Jadon
Kentucky 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nina%20and%20Jadon

Hi Nina,

While some of the ingredients (chia, chasteberry, spriulina) are all recommended here, tumeric is not (you can read about that in the links in this message from Lavinia: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/232228)

In addition, you can buy all of them cheaper as individual ingredients to be added to the ration rather than spending the money on a supplement that may not have the actual amount that your horse needs of a particular ingredient.

NinaJW

Thanks Sherry!
--  May I ask what you or others may know about Heave Ho ( for mild COPD) he has Clenbutoral but it’s way expensive and not good for long term use.
Nina and Jadon
Kentucky 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nina%20and%20Jadon

Hi Nina,

Getting PPID controlled goes a long way with many horses in getting COPD and related issues resolved.  For my mare we progressed from MSM to homeopathics to Spirulina, Vitamin C and Breather Powder from Springtime before she decided she wasn't eating anything powdered anymore.  At that point she was about 26 and a half and we moved to Ventipulmin as needed along with occasional steroid use if she had a really bad episode.  I was fortunate that she never had an issue with the steroids either before or after she was diagnosed with PPID (which was when she was 29), but it was not an ideal solution and not one I recommend if there are other options.

The best thing I can say about this particular supplement is that they offer a money back guarantee, but also note they have a disclaimer on the website about changes in diet and exercise so that might not be so easy to manage if you find it doesn't work.

If you want a lower cost option that we know has been used successfully by people on the group you might want to try LungEq from Uckele.

You can reference these messages about it: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/252146 and https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/249876 which has the discount code if you choose to order it directly from Uckele.

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

It's not going to hurt anything  (except your  bank balance) but the chances of any significant effect on EMS or PPID are miniscule to none.  The claims are outrageous.

celestinefarm

Nina,
Tipperary has RAO, and I have done a lot of research on supplements and medications for it. It was the first symptom he had of PPID, and when he eventually had a severe episode, my vet gave him dexamethasone , which promptly sent him into laminitis within a couple of days.  So... I have learned a lot about what needs to be done to maintain open airways for a horse with heaves.
IMO, the most important thing you can do is maintain a level of ACTH that for your particular horse, controls symptoms.  Additionally, you have to be fastidious about his environment.  Dust and mold control is imperative. I do not feed hay out of a hay net for him , as it causes episodes. I have a Haygain steamer and his hay is always steamed. He has a 12x24 stall that is open during the day for him to go in and out and until late night, he has aisle doors open. I have a big fan above his stall that points downward , giving him air movement, but not blowing up dust from the floor. He is bedded in that stall on pellets and big clean shavings, I don't use anything that has sawdust or small shavings in it.  His feed and supplements are wetted down and he gets soaked cubes to supplement his hay.

As far as supportive supplements, I have several that have worked well. Jiaogulan really helps with keeping airways open, IMO, Tipperary gets a full Tablespoon three times a day.  He also gets Spirulina at 10 grams twice a day. I will likely up that to 20 until we get snow and my neighbors have finished harvesting soybeans and corn which is everywhere around me right now. I also have used Lung EQ and it worked well for him for a while, then it seemed to not be as effective over time, so I switched to Aleira from Arenus which  is currently working well.  I believe there is a product similar to Aleira made by Uckele called Pro-Air which I might try after the Aleira runs out.  I will include the link to Uckele's page on Pro Air because on the right side of the page are links to articles Dr.Kellon has written about heaves and supplementation.  Lots of good information in those articles .
My own personal experience is that Jiaogulan and Spirulina have the greatest effect on bronchodilations and the additional supplements in commercial products provide for some horses, enhanced effect or support for systems involved in ROA such as the immune system.
Tipperary also has ventipulmin as a rescue type of med. Yes, it's expensive, and it can lose it's effectiveness after 30 days of continuous use, but if you  use it sparingly when really needed, it can relieve symptoms quickly.

https://uckele.com/pro-air.html

Regarding the Crypto Aero products, IMO, they use a niche marketing of non gmo, all natural, only give your horse herbs and plants that are neither science based nor appropriate for many horses, particularly IR and PPID.
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

NinaJW

Dawn, thank you for all the info you gave me! I currently only use the Clenbutoral on days I know he’s going to be asked to do something. If he gets nervous or uncomfortable about anything ( like a saddle or a farrier) I dose him only at those times. I had no idea this was linked to PPID!! It makes me think I should get his levels now instead of November. :/
--
Nina and Jadon
Kentucky 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nina%20and%20Jadon

Edited

Nina, you might also find he’s less reactive if his PPID is under control.  Your case history states that Jadon is getting 0.25 mg of pergolide.  Is this still correct?  I went back through a lot of your messages but may well have missed something.  Is there a reason you have not titrated him up to the 1 mg starting dosage that most vets recommend?
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

NinaJW

Martha, I do need to update his file. He’s on 1 mg per day now. I’m concerned even that’s not enough with the heavy sweats and now knowing COPD can be related. He is in a muzzle when out but there is no dry lot to use. I’ve looked at moving him but there are so few farms anymore there’s no where to go. Praying for him and that I get this as right as I can for him.
--
Nina and Jadon
Kentucky 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nina%20and%20Jadon

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Nina,

Have you been able to have Jadon's ACTH retested on 1 mg?  I would also check insulin again, too, to see if it is elevated with ACTH.  If it's not, then you don't have to be as strict about keeping him off pasture.  Controlling the PPID with medication is the best thing you can do for him, but you need to know whether the 1mg dose is effective.  From what I've learned here it's better to over-medicate rather than under-medicate this disease.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

NinaJW

I was told to wait till November to recheck his blood work. I think it was because it’s fall and the numbers will definitely be high? Does your horse break a sweat? Jadon does after I give him his pill and turn him out :/
--
Nina and Jadon
Kentucky 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nina%20and%20Jadon

celestinefarm

Nina,
ACTH rises in the fall in all horses . In horses affected by PPID, the rise starts earlier(often in July) and tends to be much more exaggerated due to the hypertrophy in the pituitary. The overabundance of ACTH and other hormones in response is what sets off a cascade of symptoms in the horse. It won't matter if his ACTH numbers are higher in the fall, because you already have a diagnosis of PPID and using medication to reduce ACTH output needs to be measured to see if it is being given in an amount sufficient to bring a normalization for Jadon. Temperature dysregulation is a side effect of PPID that is not being controlled.

Brief but important overview of PPID
https://www.ecirhorse.org/physiology-ppid.php
Information here about seasonal influences. There are no "false high ACTH"  in the fall when a horse when diagnosing for pergolide dosage.
https://www.ecirhorse.org/pergolide.php

--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Nina, I am fortunate that my horse has not been diagnosed with PPID so I can't speak from experience about sweating (was your question directed at me?).  But Martha, Dawn, Sherry, and so many others have been through PPID with their horses and can help with those questions.  There are many things that clear up or improve once we get our IR and PPID horses back to health.  The most remarkable for me was Shaku's goopy eyes clearing up....he has had many positive changes since we started our journey but this was something I thought was just normal for him, blue eyes being sensitive to light and all, but apparently it was also tied to his IR and it was the last thing to improve.  Even after his fat pads started to get smaller his eyes remained goopy, until I got his already low sugar hay soaked down to a ridiculously low ESC, and the goop went away overnight.  I'm still marveling at this last transformation.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Hi Nina,
It’s interesting how the thinking on when to test has evolved, resulting in differing opinions on when testing should be done.  Dawn shared the latest thinking on that but don’t be surprised to find your vet has a different opinion.  You should feel comfortable asking the vet to humor you and do the test anyway.  We can help you interpret the results, if the vet is not comfortable doing so.
I have not experienced sweating with a direct connection to giving pergolide but I have experienced inappropriate sweating which, at the time, I rationalized with anything that seemed reasonable.  It’s good that you keep a keen eye and open mind as you will become more tuned into the PPID symptoms Jadon experiences and recognize a possible need for a pergolide dosage increase.  Not every horse experiences PPID in exactly the same way.  My horse, Logo, showed primarily skin issues, some of which I had become so used to (crusty ear tips) that I didn’t initially see them as unusual.
Looking forward to test results to see if he’s adequately medicated.