Topics

new custom mix needed

LJ Friedman

majestic is being moved and new barn uses timothy hay and not teff, which his formula is based on. Jesses custom formula is based on timothy pellets.  before i. can test the new hey, i need one order of supplements.  thinking i can base majestic s formula based on the timothy pellets analysis?  thanks

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

LJ, I’ve found myself in a similar situation this winter.  I took a look at U Balance Foundation, which I believe was formulated with Dr. Kellon’s help.  It matched almost perfectly so I bought a tub.  The only problem it presents is that it includes amino acids and I already have 4 tubs of Tri Amino, which I hate to waste, so I may need to change to a custom mix.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Edited

LJ,

Make sure to bring several bales of Majestic's current hay to the new barn so you can gradually switch him over to the new hay over a 10 day to 2 week period.

It's a shot in the dark on the supplements so if this was my horse, I'd just use Jesse's formula or only supplement Majestic with vit E, flax and iodized salt until you can get the analysis done. A couple of weeks are only a blip on the mineral balancing radar screen.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

LJ Friedman

thanks for the reply.  i planned on 1 bale.  assuming i should take 2?3?   going from teff back to timothy,which he was using 2 years ago.

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

gypsylassie

I always make very gradual shifts when I bring any new hay in.  I myself would take several bales at least.  The fiber alone is going to be different and he'll need to develop some new intestinal flora.  I hope the transition goes well and they both like their new home.
Laura K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

LJ Friedman

i will take 2 bales.  majestic already gets 5 lbs of timothy pellets with his supplement each day. .  with that info, would 1 bale be ok or 2?  thanks

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Sherry Morse

LJ,

I would take at least 2 and more if you can as this is ultimately going to be a total switchover for Majestic so you want to do a slow change with substituting a flake of the new for a flake of the old for a few feedings and then 2 flakes and so on until he's finally totally changed to the new hay.  If possible I'd plan on doing this over the course of a week so he has plenty of time to adjust.

Ronelle

I switched my hay type this past year.  I use hay nets, so it was easy to go slow.  For about three/four days I filled the nets with 3/4 old hay, 1/4 new.  I slowly worked at reducing the old and increasing the new.  I think it took me three weeks to make the switch.  I also would give my horse a hand full of the new hay as a snack throughout the day.  Much of the timing was also due to wanting to use up the last of the old.  I think when I started doing this, I had 3 bales of the old hay left.
--
Ronelle and Yoyo
2015 Bend, Or, US