Topics

New hay sampled and tested

sueneids@...

If I’m reading this correctly I think it’s possible I may not need to soak Spirit’s hay this year. My hay guy told me to have it tested as he was quite late getting it off the field and he thought sugar and starch would be low. Please advise.

--

Sue and Spirit

Burt, NY, USA
Aug 2017
Spirit's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sue%20and%20Spirit
Spirit's Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8806 .

Sue,
I think you are saying that you haven't yet tested 2019 hay yet? I went to your case history folder and found three variations of testing done on a 2018 hay.
If your horse/pony is confirmed IR you should always soak new hay until you get the hay test results. If you are able to I would suggest you take a hay sample and send it off for testing BEFORE you purchase the hay.

A way to potentially save you money to to send a hay sample to Equi-Analytical labs and pay for the ESC and Starch tests. Ask them to send you the results by email because you will get the results sooner. If the ESC/starch levels combined are low enough to be safe for your horse then call them and ask them to run the rest of the (603) Trainer package. If the ESC/starch combo is too high in % then don't buy the hay and you have only lost a smaller amount of $$.

The reason I suggest Equi-Analytical Labs over Cumberland is they have packages of tests that are relevant to horse owners. Cumberland runs a lot of tests that are primarily for other livestock and have no bearing on a horse diet. Also, the Equi-Analytical web site is easier to read and order from IMO.

If you want to see one of my recent hay tests just click on "Mouses case history" at the bottom of my signature. I just uploaded two hay test results.

--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

sueneids@...

I apologize, there was a glitch when I tried to up load the file. If you look now, you will see the sample taken last week and the Dairy One report. I just got in my 2019 hay so sent it last week.
--

Sue and Spirit

Burt, NY, USA
Aug 2017
Spirit's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sue%20and%20Spirit
Spirit's Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8806 .

Found it! Yes the ESC and Starch levels of this hay should be fine for your horse. It also looks like it would be fairly easy to balance the minerals for this hay.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

This is the 601 EquiTech analysis that uses NIR technology for the ESC, starch and other energy analysis. My experience and the experience of others here is that the ESC results can be understated. I have results that match the wet chemistry very well and other NIR results that were way less than the wet chemistry, taking ESC+Starch up into the 11% range.

IMO the safest approach is to ask Equi-Analytical to run the 644-Carb Pack on the sample that is still at their lab.

--
Cass for Cayuse (PPID/IR) and Diamond (IR)
Sonoma County, Calif. Oct. '12

Cayuse Case History                Cayuse Photos
Diamond Case History              Diamond Photos

Cass, where on the results is the info about which test method was run? I don't see that info.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

Sue,
which particular test package did you have done on this hay? Because the Wet Chem method (as Cass mentioned above) is far more accurate than the lower cost (Near Infra Red) NIR method.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

sueneids@...

Yup already did that with uckele
thank you!!
--

Sue and Spirit

Burt, NY, USA
Aug 2017
Spirit's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sue%20and%20Spirit
Spirit's Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8806 .

Lavinia Fiscaletti

There is nothing noted on the results from EA that tells you which test was run but if lignin and ash are listed, it was the #601 as those values aren't done in the #603.

--
Lavinia and George Too
Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge

sueneids@...

I had the 601 equitech high tech near infrared and plasma spectroscopy done for $28 not the fast track but not the wet chem
--

Sue and Spirit

Burt, NY, USA
Aug 2017
Spirit's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sue%20and%20Spirit
Spirit's Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8806 .

Bonnie, an analysis that lists ash is the 601.
--
Cass for Cayuse (PPID/IR) and Diamond (IR)
Sonoma County, Calif. Oct. '12

Cayuse Case History                Cayuse Photos
Diamond Case History              Diamond Photos

Cass and Lavinia thanks for that info.

Sue for $32 you can get ESC and Starch tested by Wet Chem method at Equi-Analytical Lab. That's what I do first on each lot of hay that may be potential hay for my horse.