Topics

New hoof photos for comments

freddelskutar@...

Hi Lavinia.
I am requesting trimming comments before Julie's next trim. The updates are from last week's photos of Julie's hooves. When i compare her pictures from a year ago, it seems like not much has changed. However Julie is in her paddock and onto adjoining hilly frozen pasture without boots. My goal for her was to allow her to move as much as possible (for her IR) and since December she has been with the rest of horses for at least 12 hours every day. And since December she has been exercised down the paved road in boots twice a week. She is ridden either bareback or saddled and responding well.

  Since Decmber, i allowed her to eat her tested hay without haynets because she was so skinny. Now I have to restart strict diet measures again (weighing and haynets) as she has gained about 50 lbs. The most noticeable sign is the fat  pads above her eyes that came back by January but even then she was quite ribby. Now she has a coating over her ribs and slight crest fat but her cardio workouts are always improving.

  My biggest concern now is that trimming will cause her pain and then I have to slow down on her exercise.The past few months  she was barefoot sensitive post trims for about 10 days. She has been on a monthly trim schedule where the focus was to bring her toes back. But this last time the heels were rasped more to bring them more caudal. Not just to drop them off. I kept thinking her heel purchas needed to come back but maybe this process affected the solar junction causing her to be ouchy on hard ground but not in the deep field snow which she would search out.

  My next observation is that her sole has never been purposefully rasped for 2 years. But this is unavoidable at the anterior sole surface when rasping the hoof wall vertically. I have read that it is okay to rasp uneven sole bumps if affecting the way a foot lands. Is this correct? My horse may have bit of that going on then which she would feel on a harder surface. It does seem like she is finally wearing her excessive solar buildup on her own now as it is evident to see nice solar tubules poking through. And thankfully no new evidence of abscesses.

  She has had a rough past 4 years but since the aggressive hay soaking last year lastly 7 months, she lost a lot of weight, including her fat pads. She has had mineral balanced diet for the past 2 years and is on 2mg pergolide daily. This past winter she has been allowed to join the herd just be a horse again and is the happiest she has been in a while!! Her quality of life has improved and I am so thankful for the help from ECIR. I just do not want to mess anything up.
--
Delli and Julie
BC, Canada

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Delli%20and%20Julie

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=88389

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Delli,

I agree that the trim appears to have slipped away again after it was making progress for a time. All toes have gotten longer and heels more underrun. Medially high with lateral wall flares on the hinds. Anytime her feet appear the least bit sore she should be put in padded boots. Although her heels need to move back, her HPAs won't allow for that at this time as the back half of her foot is already comparatively lower than the front half. You can't physically move the heels back without lowering them as a secondary consequence. Due to the arthritis on the front pasterns, it is also possible that when the toes get backed it irritates the arthritic areas for a few days, causing her to be a tad sore until that irritation settles down.

The fat pads reappearing signal that her IR isn't as well controlled as it was before. This is likely a result of her being turned out onto pasture without a muzzle on. Letting her run with her herd is fine but allowing her to eat grass is not - even when it appears to be dead as the dormant grasses can be quite high in sugar content.

I can get you some mark-ups by the end of the weekend.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

freddelskutar@...

Thanks Lavinia for the comments.
  It is very possible she is getting dried grass bits as the snow has melted in spots. I will stop that now! As for the fat pads, they only went away when she was super thin at BSC of 3 to 4. I really worried about her at that time because she was still intermittently weight shifting in her fronts, lethargic and not eating her soaked soyhulls with the needed compounded minerals in it. I swore she had ulcers, but I didn't get her scoped. so I will never know. Anyhow, I agree she needs to be on a strict diet and will be restricted from pasture access unless muzzled. (Dang...i was hoping she could tolerate a little freedom of diet.)
   As for the trim, I just want to clarify that when I mentioned the heels back, I was referring to the fronts only. And is it possible you could point out the arthritis for me on her xrays? I cannot see it and the vet did not mention it.
  I am frustrated with her hinds as I really do not know how to deal with them. Negative Palmar angle and underrun  heels. I should take this time of "C-19 personal isolation " to review my collection of Pete's videos as it has been a while.    No rush on the  comments but thank you again for your valuable time. FYI, I hope it is okay to share the comments with my farrier. I do not trust myself to trim completely myself so only back up toes with a rasp in between his visits.
Take care.
--
Delli and Julie
BC, Canada
3/2018

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Delli%20and%20Julie

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=88389

freddelskutar@...

Lavinia,

I added more photos after I did a mini trim. I agree that her feet really did "get away" and were growing forward. After reviewing her past hoof pictures I could "see" what you meant. I am not sure how this happened but I suspect it was because I was not completely honest about trimming her toes between farrier visits.  I had hurt myself last fall so was unable to bend over to do the job for about 3 months. I just didn't realize how bad they were getting until your comments. I think that is what happens when we see them everyday.

I measured both front hoof collateral grooves and they are at 2.2 cm at the heel and 1.1 cm at tip of frog. I shortened the toes and bevelled the hoof walls, more where it separated on the quarters. The heel purchases were slightly rasped just to redefine them. On the hinds I brought back the toes some but I felt i had to create a very gentle platform where the bar/wall junction is located. There was severe rolling of the bars on the lateral aspects so removed some of that excessive bar growth. I again bevelled the lateral wall flares and tried to balance them after. Very little was done but it was a start and she walked better afterwards.

I re-taped her and she is st 945 lbs, which is 30lbs more than when she was at her thinnest. So she is not as bad as I thought.  I added recent body shots from the other evening. She has been walking freely and offering to trot during her exercise time with Epic boots. No sign of soreness since this trim.

I realize even more how important the frequent trims are and the idea of helping the hoof hug the internal structures. Hopefully we can get a handle on the large bar growth on all four feet and help the HPA on the hinds.  I will boot her 24x7 if she seems sore at all with padded g2's.

Delli and Julie
BC, Canada
3/2018

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Delli%20and%20Julie

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=88389

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Delli,

Good observations and good job at doing a round of corrections. Did you measure the collateral groove depth in the back half of the foot at the definite deepest point or just at the heel as these two points are not necessarily aligned? Great news that she appears to be comfortable with the changes.

The large bar growth is secondary to the feet overgrowing and flaring outward. As you control those flares and keep the bars from spreading further, they will start to stand more upright as well.

Can you please get laterals and dorsals of all four feet after the trim so we can work from the most current pix?

TIA.