New images of my mares feet

dr.kellylear@...

I posted better pictures of my mares feet today. I am a little worried she is sinking a little bit because there is a slight ledge over her coronary band.  Should I try soft rides instead so she gets som frog support? She does seem a lot more comfortable than this time a week ago.

here is the link to her new images

Kelly Lear in Texas 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20Saddie

Hi Kelly,

Sinking results in a dent above the coronary band, not a ridge.  If she's comfortable in her current boots I wouldn't look to change them.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Kelly,

Glad to hear that she is more comfortable. Sinking is possible but it could also be that the toe angle is jamming the hoof capsule up into the coronary band, causing that "ledging".

The latest rads showed that her HPA is slightly broken back,so she might appreciate a bit of added height in the back half of her feet to help support the bony column in better alignment. If she isn't in any boots right now, you could try the Soft Rides as the pads are wedge shaped, in addition to having the added frog support piece. That frog support may be too much for her, however, as her frogs do not appear to be healthy enough at the moment to take that kind of constant pressure. If that's the case, just cut the frog support piece off and just try the wedged part of the pad. If the wedged pad isn't comfortable, you can try cutting the pads flat or using a couple of flat pads stacked to the same thickness as a substitute in the boots.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

dr.kellylear@...

Thank you for getting back with me. I don’t think I explained the ledge well. What I mean when I run my finger down her fur towards her hoof, my finger will fall slightly behind the hoof capsule, so the hoof capsule is creating a slight ledge. Is there anything I can do with to try to help support her if she is sinking?
Have her in easy boot stratus with a wedge attached to the bottom of the boot. She seems most comfortable in those. I tried the soft rides again today and she doesn’t seem to like them very much.

also, when you get a chance, would you mind reviewing her most recent venogram? I had two farriers tell me today that it doesn’t look very good and I am getting stressed about her.

Thank you again for all your help and support with this!

--

Kelly Lear in Texas 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20Saddie

She has some sinking but most laminitic horses do and there's not much change since 8-19. The venograms can vary tremendously for technical reasons.

I'm more interested in how she's doing? Time up? Off the bute? Diet?

Please enter your lab data into your case history. Print is too small in those photos.

dr.kellylear@...

I just uploaded her most recent metabolic panel on the files page. Please let me know what you think.

I am feeding her soaked timothy 1st cutting. She is not the biggest fan in the world of it but is eating it. The fiber is high on it so I think that is what is making it less appealing. I tried adding a salt slurry to it and when I did that she didn’t want the hay. I just bought a bale of 2nd cutting Timothy and sent it out to equi-analytical to see if that is a better option for her.  I bought her a plain white salt block and she is licking that. I am also giving her remission. I have vitamin E oil, laminox, photo-quench and devils claw from uckele ordered.

My mare is still at the hospital because I have been told not to make the hour long trailer ride home. The doctor is being difficult about getting her off bute. She is also on pentoxyfilline and gabapentin.

Last Wednesday through Saturday her pain seemed to be doing pretty well. She was laying down less and seemed more comfortable. However in the last 24 hours she seems more painful again and is laying down more often. According to the nurses, she slept most of the night. When I got there this morning she was up eating and not shifting wait much. I’m at work right now but I will go back and see her tonight.

I called the hospital to see if they have done any more radiographs and they haven’t yet.

Would I be wise to risk the trailer ride and take her home?

please review the newest metabolic panel to and let me know what else I can do for her.

--

Kelly Lear in Texas 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20Saddie

Hi Kelly,

Do you know if this last round of bloodwork was done fasting or not?  As far as the medication - none of those are probably doing Saddie any favors.  Pentoxyfilline is an old medication and not used very much (so old the latest reference I could find to it in our archives is from 2009: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/135354) Gabapentin is another one that many vets seem to like to prescribe, but it's usefulness is debatable, and particularly with a metabolic laminitis the group consensus has been that is it does not work.

For me, if she's standing more than she's laying down, is reasonably comfortable in boots and is able to walk I'd consider getting her home where you can have more control over her care.

dr.kellylear@...

The newest metabolic panel was taken while she was eating. However it was during her pergolide veil so her appetite was decreased.
--

Kelly Lear in Texas 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20Saddie

Her metabolic panel is excellent.  I'm not even sure why she would still be painful unless it's the bute and trim; maybe abscess collections that need to drain.  8/23 films don't explain it. If she's up most of the time and moving in her stall you should be able to ship her with mats, deep shavings and boots with thick pads like Soft Ride.

dr.kellylear@...

Thank you so much for reviewing everything. I am trying to get them to take one more set of X-rays today or tomorrow and then I will plan on moving her home Wednesday since in off work that day.